257 Robert's

Sounds like you'll have to take us all to school again and form it like you did in the stw a few months back
That's what it's looking like lol
I have bought anything for this rifle in a long time. Just didn't know if Peterson or adg wasn't making it. Now if I can find some 6mm rem all I would have to do is run it in my expander die.

Last edited:
I've thought about building a 257 Roberts. The brass availability is the only thing that stopped me. The other option is a 25-08 and necking down 7mm-08 Lapua. Probably would be easier and cheaper to just do a 25-06 though.

Last edited:
I was going to say, I emailed Pete today over at quality cartridge and had him add an order in for some with my 7 stw order. Just got to wait until they run them again.

Optics Planet has Norma in stock but it is way pricy.
$2.69 a piece...with 14% off already. Someone must have fell and bumped their head....like at least a dozen times. I'm starting to believe the management of these companies are anti-gun. The reason being, is that no one can be that greedy. I think I'd buy a new barrel for that money and change calibers first before I paid them that much. $269 for 100 pieces of brass is just insane.

Last edited:
$2.69 a piece...with 14% off already. Someone must of fell and bumped their head....like at least a dozen times. I'm starting to believe the management of these companies are anti-gun. The reason being, is that no one can be that greedy. I think I'd buy a new barrel for that money and change calibers first before I paid them that much. $269 for 100 pieces of brass is just insane.
IIRC optics planet started jacking up prices with a lot of other companies when they realized people were paying stupid prices for stuff due to the shortage.

Optics planet used to be a great company with hard to beat prices and outstanding customer service. There must have been a leadership change because they have gone the opposite direction over the last several years and are unworthy of the time it took for me to write that LOL.

I have a 1928 Mexican Mauser 98 in 7x57. Sent it to Hart barrels and had a 257ai tube put on it along with action truing and lugs lapped. It shoots easily under .5 and a few groups .1 or less. Its a hard hitter with 75 gr HH. Also shoots awesome with 100 gr TSX. I have Jamison brass which is no longer available and will likely have to get Nosler brass when the time comes.
How much did the Hart services cost? What barrel twist and what diameter and length. Sorry for all the questions, but I don't know much about rebar telling/changing calibers. Thank you

I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Roberts. Most times it's 2 to 3 inch three shot groups at 100 yards. Put in a timney trigger and bedded it. Still not good. I've gotten so frustrated that I haven't messed with it for a while. I like the cartridge and the rifle, just not the accuracy. Once in a while it tosses a good group, just often enough to give me hope.
It may be barrel and a professional bedding job. Open to suggestions.

I found a pre-64 Model 70 in good condition in .257 Roberts last year. Expensive, but I'm retired and the children are moved out and doing OK, so I tumbled for it. A friend had some boxes of old commercial ammo he gave me, and I am now waiting for shoulder surgery to heal so I can start to work up a load. Now all I have to do is figure out what I'm gonna do with it since Ohio doesn't allow anything but shotguns or straight-walled cases for whitetail. So I'm gonna follow this thread, all the time wishing I hadn't waited so long to get a rifle in this classic caliber.

Never really been a large choice of different brass for the 257, I've only seen Remington and Winchester, and it was usually a little more $ than 3006 or 270 just because it wasn't as popular and they made less of it. I have a bunch of unfired Remington brass waiting to be used.