.257 longer projectiles ? Higher BC

Land Rover

Hi Guys

Why do projectile manufacturers not make longer and maybe heavier .257 projectiles?
There are heaps in 6.5mm, so why not .257 especially for the 25 06 or 257 Weatherby. I would have thought there are more than enough .257 owners out there to warrant more projectile selection at the top end. Faster twist barrels can be made if required.
Just a thought.

Factory barrels are usually 1 in 10 twist which limits the length of the bullet. Sure you could go with a custom barrel and a faster twist. How many 25 cal owners have done that? Enough to warrant making a longer higher BC bullet?

It is unfortunate that the 25 cal bullet offerings are limited when compared to other calibers. IMO the best and readily available is the 115 Berger VLD. It has helped me and my friends kill 16 coues wt, 4 mule deer, 6 elk and 1 antelope not to mention 2 javelinas. Many shots were over 350 yds. Typically these bullets exit and often cause the animal to just drop dead without even twitching.

AZ Shooter hit it on the head. It is a numbers game. Factory rifles are slow twist and not able to handle the longer bullets. There are not enough shooters demanding the long bullets that have enough twist to shoot them to warrant a new line of bullets. When the over the counter rifles makers start making faster twist rifles then we will start seeing longer bullets.

Steve

Hmmmm....I've got a 257 Wby Accumark. I wonder how far (and accurately) could I throw one of those 115 grain Berger VLD's?

Just about as far as you would like. I can concur with the others that the Berger 115 is by far the best 25 cal bullet going and kills like lightning. I have used them in my .250 Savage humming along at 2840fps and it has taken coyotes to elk with ease.

I've killed deer at nearly 500 yards with Nosler 100 BT's. I was thinking of trying to get a 257 Bee out to a 1,000? Maybe not for kill'n, but it would be fun to try to hit steel with it. Do you think the 115 Berger could do that?

I've thought the same thing about a heavier 257 cal bullet. I run the 115 bergers out of my Weatherby super biggame master and 3250 is easily achieved and accuracy is exceptional.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.