250g Berger hunting bullet in 338 win mag

TC338

I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I'm looking for advice on loading some Berger 250's for my 338 win mag. I've got IMR-4350, R-22, and H-4831 on hand. Any advice on seating depth? Expected velocity for each powder? Right now all I have is hornady brass, any others better or worse? I'll be hunting mostly whitetail deer at ranges 500+ yards, my 308 will take care of any shots inside 500. The rifle is a TC encore with a custom built 26" bull barrel and integral brake.

Believe it or not, the 338 doesn't get the best results with 4831 or RL22, it was atrocious in my 338.
The best powder for the 338 is RL19, HANDS DOWN.
IMR 4350 is better suited than the other 2.
I would suggest looking up either the powder manufacturers data online, or the bullet manufacturer.
I cannot give you loads, I have never used Berger bullets in the 338WM, only my 338 Edge.
In my Edge, I found 2 seating depths, one jammed, which I don't like on hunting rigs, and one around the length of the bullet shank is flush with the case neck/shoulder juncture, this is .020" off the rifling in my rifle.
What throat length have you got cut?

Cheers.
gun)

MagnumManiac,
I'm fairly new to the long range game. My 338win is my first purpose built long range rifle, and it was built on a very tight budget. That's why I went with the encore, already had the frame and optic so all I needed was the barrel. To answer your question, I don't know. I've started my load development using a lock-n-load gauge. I've got my first ladder test set up using imr 4350 ranging from 61-64 grains. Bullets are seated.020 off the lands. Just waiting for cooler temps to go shoot.

Still working on my loads for my 338 win mag using h-4350. I'm loading mine to mag length so not close to the lands. Getting in the upper 2700's for speed. Can't remember the exact powder weight.

I can't speak for the 250 vld but I just tried the 250AB in my 338wm with H4350 and was able to get 2740fps. I'm not a fan of RL19 because I have never been able to get advertised speeds with it.

Corey,
I used the published data from your website as the starting point for my first ladder test. One question though, why is it the max load for the 250g using imr-4350 is 63.8g and the nosler book shows the 250g accubond with a starting charge of 64g and a max of 68g? I'm just wondering why the Berger data is lower?

Corey,
I used the published data from your website as the starting point for my first ladder test. One question though, why is it the max load for the 250g using imr-4350 is 63.8g and the nosler book shows the 250g accubond with a starting charge of 64g and a max of 68g? I'm just wondering why the Berger data is lower?

Hard to say how they came up with their data. I know ours do specifically have a slight buffer to stay under SAAMI max pressures. Also, our bullets tend to be a bit longer than some of the others on the market and when you load two bullets to the same OAL (SAAMI limits) the longer bullet sticks down into the case and it fills faster creating higher pressures quicker. Start low and work up and until you find what you need safely :)

Corey,
Thanks for the info. I thought about it after I had posted my question to you and came up with the same answer concerning the length of the bullet in the case. Thanks again for your help.

Corey,
TC338,
Our 250 and 300 grain ELITE HUNTER BULLETS are longer so you MAY get into pressure issues depending on how the rifle barrel is throated. Or how close the base of the bullet is to the powder column. So we are rather conservative in our loads for safety reasons. Since these bullets are Hybrid design. I suggest that for hunting load testing is that you start at .005 off the lands and work back in .005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for. Once you find the seating depth accuracy node. Work you load back up checking for pressure signs and accuracy. Also make sure the forend of the rifle is free floated. Mark Penrod at PENROD PRECISION on the web can help with this.

Thanks for all the info. My barrel was built by bullberry barrel works out of Utah, and it has their hanger system on it. I had them build a barrel for my wife chambered in 6.5 Grendel. She loves the rifle and it has been extremely accurate so far using only factory ammo. So if my 338 lives up to the bar that little rifle set, it will out shoot me. As soon as it cools off around here I'm going out to start working up my loads. I'll post results as soon as I get them done.

I tried the 250 Bergers starting at mag length but never got them to shoot well. I've found the Barnes 225 gr TTSX to be more forgiving with a jump if you want to use your magazine. I think the 338 WM is a little hard to load for. Seating depth seems to make a huge difference in accuracy. Mine likes about .200" jump. It won't shoot worth a darn at max mag length. The best powder I've found is H-414. They say Winchester 760 is the same powder in case you already have some.

So far my rifle likes the vld's seated .01 off the lands. Tested up to 64g of imr-4350 and only got 2525 fps out of it. Seems slow to me. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? New hornady brass, WLRM primers. Didn't see any pressure signs so I guess I'm just going to keep increasing my powder till I do. Any advice is welcome.

So far my rifle likes the vld's seated .01 off the lands. Tested up to 64g of imr-4350 and only got 2525 fps out of it. Seems slow to me. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? New hornady brass, WLRM primers. Didn't see any pressure signs so I guess I'm just going to keep increasing my powder till I do. Any advice is welcome.
TC338,
If you are not seeing any pressure signs. Keep working the load up in tenth or two tenths increments. Check for pressure signs and your accuracy as you increase the powder charge. One thing you want to keep in mind. What you want for velocity and what your rifle LIKES are often two different things. Accuracy is always king . Run your data on our BALLISTICS CALCULATOR found under the BALLISTICS tab on the BERGER BULLET website to see whats up with the load you have now. You want at least 1800 feet per second and 1100 foot pounds of force at the furthest range you will be shooting out too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.