.250 Savage, a long venerable history but ... ?

It would be interesting to see an actual chronograph of this load in the short bbl Ruger 77 RSI shown. Hornady knows full well that their new loading will be shot in some 100 year old Savage 99's that are well broken in. They often manage to get more speed than my reloads.............FWB

At some point, someone might figure out that this 100+ year old cartridge isn't just the parent of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but with a just a little bit of case modification and good modern high BC bullets, it is a better cartridge than either the 6.5mm or the 6mm version.

I have a old Model 99 take down 250-3000 that a old friend left me. It shoots good groups with the Sierra 75 gr. hollow point, the 87 gr. Sierra SP, with IMR 3031 powder, Rem. 9 1/2 primers and Win. cases, my hunting load for deer is the Speer 100 gr. SP flat base in front of 31 grs. of IMR 3031, Rem. 9 1/2 primer, and Win. cases. I make cases by necking up 22-250 cases (in 2 steps as to not split the necks). Also, they shoot better the second time they are loaded.

IMG_0179.JPEG

Nosler offers 85, 100, 115, & 120 gr bullets for the .250 Savage.

JSk..........that listed 120 grain Nosler with H4831 would be producing 2078 ftlbs of energy from a 22 inch bbl. Approaching 25-06 power. Of course, such loads are not reasonable in the old Model 99 and Nosler does not recommend any of its bullets for the 14" twist lever guns. I bought the 85 grainers for my Ruger and an antelope, but have not drawn a tag, so the experiment is incomplete................FWB

Jski.............good read that you posted. Certainly makes the 3 (4 with the 244 added) seem the same. My personal experience in the field with all of them, was a little different though. There are some good reasons that the Roberts and the 6mm died, and I never could equal the penetration that I got with the long, slender .243 bullets by stoking up my 250. But there is no accounting for tastes....and I always liked the 250 best of the lot................FW Bill

If I was to build a short-action 1/4-bore, I'd most likely design and build a wildcat .257 based off the .260 AI case with the 40º shoulder. Or, design it off the 6.5CM case, but increase shoulder angle to 40º and take some more of the wall taper out for added capacity.

I have many rifles but primarily use the 250 Savage.
Have three of them, tang safety M77s, free floated & glass bedded.
Death rays.
Derrickman

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.