250 Gr. Wildcat(.338)

traks44

trying to locate some bullet info on the wildcat .338 250 gr bullets. I know their are a two different types but I am not sure what the jackets thicknesses mean. Building an elk rifle and trying to see if their is some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifthing better than a matchking for B.C and overall performance?

any help would be great, my email was down and havent been able to contact wildcat bullets, any help would be great!

traks44,
Most have had great results using the 300 SMK, but it requires a large case to obtain sufficient velocity.
I cant remeber the jacket thickness of the WC bullets ofhand (.30,.40,.60?), but I do recall most use the thinnest as the thicker two dont expand much at all...(thick bonded jacket= AP).
It would be great if some of the larger bullet manf. would make say a 250/275gr. Accubond/BT, or 250/275gr. Triple XBT in the .338 caliber. It seems they are still stuck on the little .30 cal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Try some testing with the 250 smk's, might be ok.

I have burned up 97 Wildcat 252gr RBBTs. They were superbly accurate in my Factory REM 700 338 Win. Velocities were just over 2800 FPS @ the muzzle. Shot them at my steel full sized coyote sil. @ 735 yds and did pretty well.

The bullet is made specifically for big game hunting and has lead to the tip.

Goodgrouper and the Utah guys did some comparisons with it and the 250 SMK and Scenars. BCs etc are posted at LINK Read it all. Its worth it.

I'm in the process of converting the Win to a RUm and fully expect to use the RBBTs in it also.

Considering the whole spectrum of shooters there aren't many shooting anything over 30 cal. That's why its getting all of the attention.

I would highly recommend the RBBTs.

ok thanks guys, The gun is a .338 Lapua with a 30 inch tube.

I think I am gonna have to get some wildcat bullets, I already have the SMK and the recent reports of the scenar performance expansion has me skeptical to buy the scenars for hunting.

44, just curious, have you shot the 300 SMK's out of that lapua? was wondering what velocity might be? i've seen a 275 rbbt listed on richard's site. that's the one that had my attention!

I have been trying to gather different bullets I want to try when its finished to develop a bullet powder combo I like the best. It would be done now except I am waiting for Mcmillian who is a month late on my A-5 Stock!

I have the 250 GR SMK, 300 SMK, and really want to try some wildcat bullets, we'll see when the gun gets done for sure.

44, i know where you can get an exact copy of an A-5 in a laminated wood version.price is 265,i think,inletted for your action, you have to final sand and finish.

thanks, buy.....

The stock is gonna match the rest of the gun and it shouldnt be to much longer now. I am hopeing to have it within the next couple weeks and then get after some rockchucks!!!

Dave,

Is there more than just 1?

I have some interest, probably more interest than jimm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

roy

joel makes them for almost any left handed action too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif with @ a 2 week turn around
if he doesn't have your action inlet send him the stock and he can inlet it off of yours

d-a

To get back on track the 252 RBBT with its 0.030 jacket thickness according to Kirby and my expansion/penetration comparisons against Sierra 250 SMKs and Game Kings (Sierra Nos: 2600 and 2650) are good for any North American game animal.

The fall season will be the first good opportunity for tests on game and maybe the neighbors braying jackass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif, worse than a ****'d rooster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, I'm the guy doing the laminated A-5L stocks. Contact me via the e-mail Dave Wilson posted just replace .com with .net. I'll send pics and all info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts