best twist for the .338 350 gr wildcat bullet?

on the short pitch in 0.338 cal take attention to the fact that engraving torque is a concern to check , if you go in short pitch you increase rifling angle value and you increase torque during engraving time so with long bearing bullet that will be a real problem of heavy fouling in the throat and poor accuracy

bullet stability is given by pitch AND velocity so carefully compute the BS with your velocity before to go in short pitch ( too short/fast pitch )

as WildCat bullet if data available on thsi board as :
As far as bullet length, the Sierra Matchkings I have measure an average of 1.708" in length, the 350 gr Wildcats measure 1.902" in length.

1.902/0.338 cal = 5.62 cal lenght , so commun easy to stabilzed bullet is 5 callenght over 5 cal that became sensible to stabilisation , increase bullet lenght to increase BC is an simple way but no side problem way

my point of view is that 320 gr with secant ogive will do perhaps easy and better solution

from pictures I have get of the WilcatBullets , design seem to be a regular tangent ogive with rebated base

good shooting

DAN TEC

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.