What twist for .338" 265g Wildcat A-Tip??

remingtonman_25_06

I cant find what I"m looking for in the search function so just thought I would ask. We have a 1 in 10" for the 338 EDGE and was just curious if this would stabilize the 265g Aluminum Tip Wildcat bullet??

10 twist

they are designed for the 10 twist barrels but we will have to wait until Richard sorts out the final issues

Cheers Bill
Australia

The 9.4 twist barrels in my own and my partners 338LAIs shredded the jackets off of Richards bullets. He told me later that his jackets were too thin, which is what was causing the problem. I hope he is able to get this sorted out. They look promising.

Shawn Carlock shot them out of my edge with a Hart 1:10 and had a lot of vertical stringing. Being a prototype batch it may be a quality thing or the Hart twist may not be quite enough ?? Will have to wait until the jacket crisis is ironed out. I really had my heart on shooting that super bullet, but alas........

DUH

Thanks guys. Not to big of a deal for us as our rifle was built around the 300g SMK. The 265g AL Tip would seem to offer a couple hundred more yards ballistically, if the BC is what its claimed from some.

I'm hoping there will be a 250 gr Al-tipped Wildcat for my 1-10" twist 338 since the current estimate is that the 265 gr Al tipped WCs probably won't be stabilized with 1-10 out of the Edge. The 265 Al tip is longer than a 300 gr SMK. But it shouldn't take too long to get the tried and true answer after they become available, since I suspect quite a few of us will be trying them out.

Wildcat AT jacket problem

sounds similar to some early Berger problems which I found could be solved with a canted land barrel which does not have sharp ( pardon the pun ) edge to score the jacket. Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.