25-284 build

Also, who did you get your 7.5" twist barrel from? Best I can find is 1:7 (Lilja) and 1:8 (Pac-Nor)... But can't seem to find any 1:7 twist 5R cut-rifled barrels anywhere. Anyone know if Bartlein and Proof can do this yet?

Also, who did you get your 7.5" twist barrel from? Best I can find is 1:7 (Lilja) and 1:8 (Pac-Nor)... But can't seem to find any 1:7 twist 5R cut-rifled barrels anywhere. Anyone know if Bartlein and Proof can do this yet?
I ordered mine from Krieger. It was a 75 dollar up charge for the 7.5 twist. I also know Rock Creek makes them. I never checked with Brux but I'd be willing to bet they would do it too. I think if things go good I will be talking to Brux about building me one too. As most of my barrels are Brux barrels. Just thought I'd try a Krieger this time as my buddy has really good luck with the ones he owns.

I would think a 1-8 in a 25-06 AI would be enough to stabilize any .257 bullet.
I figured this as well, but using Berger's calculator (which could be slightly off), and plugging in the measurements you gave me, with a .330 G7 BC, at 3,250 FPS MV (which is what I'm estimating with a 26" barrel and 7977 powder) is only showing around 1.48 SG... It shows 1.51 with a 7.75" twist. And like 1.68 with a 7" twist.

I ordered mine from Krieger. It was a 75 dollar up charge for the 7.5 twist. I also know Rock Creek makes them. I never checked with Brux but I'd be willing to bet they would do it too. I think if things go good I will be talking to Brux about building me one too. As most of my barrels are Brux barrels. Just thought I'd try a Krieger this time as my buddy has really good luck with the ones he owns.
These people who are making these bullets... They should get in touch with Rich Sherman (Sherman Wildcats)... I've been telling Rich for a while he needs to build a .257 Sherman and .257 SS wildcat... But due to lack of heavy high-BC .25 cal bullets, he didn't think it would be a good idea. Maybe he'll see this, and jump on it. If he does, and all things fall into place just right, I'd get Rich to send me a reamer & dies for a .257 Sherman and get a new 1:7 barrel blank, and have a .257 Sherman built to shoot these new builets, instead of rechambering to .25-06 AI 40º (I'd still keep my AI barrel and dies for later).

These people who are making these bullets... They should get in touch with Rich Sherman (Sherman Wildcats)... I've been telling Rich for a while he needs to build a .257 Sherman and .257 SS wildcat... But due to lack of heavy high-BC .25 cal bullets, he didn't think it would be a good idea. Maybe he'll see this, and jump on it. If he does, and all things fall into place just right, I'd get Rich to send me a reamer & dies for a .257 Sherman and get a new 1:7 barrel blank, and have a .257 Sherman built to shoot these new builets, instead of rechambering to .25-06 AI 40º (I'd still keep my AI barrel and dies for later).

I'll pass on the info

Bartlein will do any twist rate which is deemed practical.

"Non-standard twist, add $20.00" (Their standard is the typical 1:10")

Right now, they are committed to 4-6 months delivery based on calibers requested. If you happen to order when a caliber begins processing, your wait time might be shorter. Ordering more than one barrel at a time of the same caliber is also a method of improving your delivery position. Get your buddies together and order several barrels of the same caliber to shorten the delivery time, if possible. Maybe a group buy with a consultation with Frank Green (Bartlein) might improve our chances, based on the bullets actually coming to market. If these bullets don't make it, all we have is an expensive paper weight...:eek:

I hope you are putting this 25/284 on a long action if you are needing to use a magazine. An option would be to have the mag well opened up .125 and use a Wyatt's mag box.

I ran into boo coo trouble with a 700 Short action on this case shooting std 87g tnt on rock chucks.

Best wishes