25-284 build

Starting to get all my parts for my next build. I'm building a 25-284 on a blueprinted 700 with a 1-7.5 remington Varmint/Sendero contour Krieger. Going to finish the barrel at 27 inches and will be shooting some new 132 grain VLD bullets. A couple guys I've been in touch with are shooting these same bullets out of 25 Creedmoors and are claiming they are hitting 2900fps. I'm hoping for 2900-3000 which by the sounds of it will be very attainable. The bullets are longer than the 140 berger VLD's. Should be a good long range rig. Anyone out there have a 25-284?

I am looking at the Berger site and I do not see a 132 grain .257 bullet. They only list the 115 grain and suggest a 1:9 twist rate. Also, I have not heard of a Creedmore shooting a .257 bullet, only 6mm and 6.5mm. Is this something new?

I ordered mine from Krieger. It was a 75 dollar up charge for the 7.5 twist. I also know Rock Creek makes them. I never checked with Brux but I'd be willing to bet they would do it too. I think if things go good I will be talking to Brux about building me one too. As most of my barrels are Brux barrels. Just thought I'd try a Krieger this time as my buddy has really good luck with the ones he owns.
Brux won't do a custom twist. I asked when I was ordering my barrel for a 6.5 building. So what they advertised is what you get. Bartlien will do a custom twist for you.

I am looking at the Berger site and I do not see a 132 grain .257 bullet. They only list the 115 grain and suggest a 1:9 twist rate. Also, I have not heard of a Creedmore shooting a .257 bullet, only 6mm and 6.5mm. Is this something new?

I doubt that this is Berger because they are already so far behind, my guess is we wouldn't see this one until late 2019, if then.

The '25 Creedmoor' mentioned above is a wildcat version of the 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor case. It is not standardized by SAAMI yet so there won't be any brass available unless you make it from one of the other Creedmoor cases. Custom dies or bushing dies suited to the appropriate neck diameter will be required as well.

Regards.

I'm not in the loop on this, who is making these new bullets? I've been asking bullet makers for years to make heavy 25 cal bullets.

Berger is supposedly.
Not that I disbelieve you, just curious as to where you heard that tidbit of info? Because if it's Berger making them, they should have announced it here already to get the masses ready to place an order... At least, I would think they would be. Maybe they're just trying to surprise everybody. I'd love it if they would get with Remington and start building .25-06 rifles with 5R 1:7.5" twist barrels. Man, that would completely resurge the 1/4-bore craze. Everybody loves a .25-06, it's a classic...Especially if you bumped the bullet weight and twist rate to modern standards.

I have been trying to fine heavy/high bc 25 caliber bullets for several years. There is a thread on accurateshooter.com where a guy under the name of Romulus is saying that he will be producing 130+ grain 25 caliber VLDs shortly. I have been waiting for bullets to come available to build a 25 x 47 and possibly a 25 SAUM. I just need confirmation of the bullets being produced and getting a barrel chambered and I'm ready. A 25 x 47 or 25 Creedmoor would hit harder than the 6mms and shoot flatter than the 6.5s.

I have been trying to fine heavy/high bc 25 caliber bullets for several years. There is a thread on accurateshooter.com where a guy under the name of Romulus is saying that he will be producing 130+ grain 25 caliber VLDs shortly. I have been waiting for bullets to come available to build a 25 x 47 and possibly a 25 SAUM. I just need confirmation of the bullets being produced and getting a barrel chambered and I'm ready. A 25 x 47 or 25 Creedmoor would hit harder than the 6mms and shoot flatter than the 6.5s.
Oh don't say that out loud... The truth might give all the 6mm and 6.5mm supporters aneurisms and coronaries. :cool:

For the record, I'm not adverse to the 6mm or 6.5mm calibers (currently have a 6.5 Grendel, and love the .260 AI), I just think it's funny how over the last several years with the booming influx of newbies spurring the reputation of the 6.5CM, those calibers seemed to have developed mythical and magical powers, even so much as to comparing them to much larger caliber magnum cartridges... :rolleyes:

This is from his post on AccurateShooter.com:

I will be selling high BC 257 bullets in the coming months but they will require 1:7.25" twist to be stable in all conditions in North America down to freezing temps and sea level, and that twist rate will be the twist I will stock in the blanks I will be carrying in my online shop once everything is released. If a guy calculates his needed twist rate given his local or expected environmentals a guy could get away with a 1:7.75 or 1:8 in slightly higher Density Altitudes.

The bullet with be in the low 130 grain class and have a very aggressive form factor and high ballistic coefficient.

To simplify an explanation of the performance - in a short action AI magazine and a Creedmoor case there is really no better bullet/case/magazine combo to date. This bullet will make match rifle setups really shine while also bringing new life to 25-06, 25 WSSM, 257 WBY, and Roberts' cartridges.

April 7th, 2018

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...is-custom-axiom-action.3948532/#post-37198856

Regards.

Well said Mud,I too like the 6.5 variety,I cringe when people start expousing the virtues of the creed and its wonder bullets when i have a 6.5x284 and 26 nosler that will trounce it.
As for 257,I'd like to get my "06" polished up again.

Well said Mud,I too like the 6.5 variety,I cringe when people start expousing the virtues of the creed and its wonder bullets when i have a 6.5x284 and 26 nosler that will trounce it.
As for 257,I'd like to get my "06" polished up again.
I'd start by polishing that chamber out to .25-06 AI 40º... :D It's a whole new animal compared to the standard .25-06.

And yeah, the supporters take it to a whole new level of irritating and false claims. I 100% understand loving your rifle and caliber choice, and I understand being proud of AND impressed with its abilities (especially as a newbie who hasn't had much experience with such things), but when things start getting fudged and exaggerated, the fudged things keep getting more and more fudged & exaggerated to the point of unrealistic ludicrousness, it's time for a reality check. Kind of like how all those tall-tales of Paul Bunyan and John Henry and such go started and became what they did.

Last edited:
I assume that the source that lee31 and the one Sable and I referred to are different??? I agree with Mudrunner--I don't see Berger doing this anytime soon. I have multiple 6mms and a couple 6.5s including 6.5 x 284 and 6.5 Saum, but I think a 132 grain vld in .25 would be the cat's meow. I admit, I am a .257 supporter as I have shot almost everything Wyoming has to offer with a single shot in .257 Roy and never once had to reload.

I'm thinking along the lines of 257 prc would be cool,how much mud can we get in the water?between the saum,wsm,rcm and nosler cases just to name a few.