25-06 vs 257 wby

Coming full circle, you gotta pay to play!

I own a 257 Weatherby and while I could use it on deer (around here the 30-30 rules), it is really overkill. I could use my 25-06 but, it is really set up more as a varminter.

Now, show me a 257 Roberts that isn't overly expensive and I'd really be a happy camper during deer season and other times of the year! Like a hammer and screwdriver on your toolbelt, use the right tool for the job at hand (i.e. don't pound screws or turn nails :eek:) or buy one that is more UNIVERSAL. While technically I could varmint with my 257 Weatherby and hang a picture with a sledge hammer, that is very impractical.

First time you see the dramatic effect of a 257 weatherby on an animal you'll be hooked.
I very much agree here, it's paper ballistic just doesn't seem to tell the real story in the field about the .257 Wby Mag performance... I've used one for many years (early ''70s) and never really got over how well it kills game animals, especially at reasonable game shooting distance with today's bullets. 80% of my Deer hunting was done with a 100gr hand load. I can see why Roy felt the way he did about the cartridge, it's an amazing performer in the hunting field. Note: not matter, I'll always believe the 100gr bullet is the best bullet for that cartridge, just my .02 Cheers.

It really depends on size, load rating, and brand/type. The trendy 20" tires that come stock on a lot of pickups these days are easily over $300 for entry-level brands and types.

Tires today are a lot more expensive than a decade ago just like pickups! When you add 100+ Hp and a payload/trailer rating of several thousand additional pounds, tires and brakes are going to be more expensive!

My 470NE is a lot more expensive than my 308W too! ;)

But, I hear you on tire cost. When I started running Load Range E's on my pickup ~8 years ago, the only sub-$300 options were no-name options from Asia.
10 ply load E Toyo Open Country 285-75/18. Not even 20s. Hauling a 2500 Lb pick up camper with trailer in tow. Makes good insurance having HD rubber.

Only $300/ tire ? I wish ! A'int no truck !

• Rear: 305/30ZR20 (103Y) XL
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
  • Load Range: XL
  • Serv. Desc: (103Y)
  • UTQG: 300 AA A
  • Qty:
    Per Tire
$458.99

I see that, but I'm pretty sure before they came out with the hornady interlock in their hundred grain ammo they used to use Norma spitzers. Just curious as to what made them change.
Here's what I got from WBTY when I asked ...

.257 WBTY 100g bullet question 1 of 2.JPG

.257 WBTY 100g bullet question 2 of 2.JPG

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
Any status update on which chambering?