25-06 vs 257 wby

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
When in doubt burn the extra powder!!!!

I have my heart set on a 25 cal with a nice wood stock - don't have a 25 or a nice wood stocked rifle. This rifle would be primarily for whitetail and pronghorn hunting.

I am planning on using norma brass, 120gr nosler partitions or 110gr nosler accubonds. I have components and dies for both calibers, just trying to decide which route to go at this point.

Attached are screenshots from nosler's reloading data for each caliber for a quick comparison of expectations from a velocity standpoint.

- I have heard from several guys that Retumbo and VV N560 narrow the gap between the 2, but don't have any personal experience to back that claim up.

Assuming same barrel lengths 24" or 26" and identical components - which caliber would you choose?
I had a 25-06 and still have 257 Weatherby and 257 Roberts if that says anything.

Haven't decided yet but have lots of info to dig through! That's for sure

For hunting use in North America, the 257 Weatherby is a hard one for me to leave in the gun safe! It really ticks a lot of boxes for things like deer and similar species where distances can stretch out. I got mine thinking 'speed goats' and possibly a mountain goat.

For closer in deer season, I'm not so much into 30-30's so, I keep looking for a nice 257 Roberts but, until then my 7x57 Win 70 FWT will have to suffice!

257 wby is hard to beat. I've used mine to kill everything from jackrabbits to shiras moose. I burned up the first barrel in a few years and recently put a 1:7 twist on it... and it's even more awesome now. 128gr Hammer Hunters and 131 Blackjack Aces will have all of your bases covered.

I believe you can buy Ruger, Savage, Mossberg and other factory rifles for that price. Surprisingly enough, many of them shoot right out of the box.

I like custom rifles and I shoot a lot. Most of my magnum rifles get rebarreled at 1,000 rds or so and you've got to pay the piper if you want to continue shooting.

The only reason I would choose a 25-06 over the 257Wby is if I was concerned about barrel life. A new custom barrel chambered and all setup cost more then a lot of factory rifles.
I've had many .257 Wby's over the years... shot mostly Deer with them a few Yote hunts here and there in Eastern Washington and Idaho, the last one I had was a USA built Accumark in .257 Wby.... I sold it to a young guy in Colstrip Montana close to 10 years ago, it's still shooting great, and this guy hunt! So as a hunting rifle and "part-time" varmint buster I think you'd be fine with a .257 Wby mag, just don't heat the hell out of it with crazy loads and it should serve you well in the field for a life time. just my 0.2 Cheers!

I believe you can buy Ruger, Savage, Mossberg and other factory rifles for that price. Surprisingly enough, many of them shoot right out of the box.

I like custom rifles and I shoot a lot. Most of my magnum rifles get rebarreled at 1,000 rds or so and you've got to pay the piper if you want to continue shooting.
I'm going to try one of the prefits with the barrel nut on a couple vanguards. 6.5-300 will be first. 257 is still a lazor beam even with my brother not being too kind on waiting between shots.

I have yet to meet a big game HUNTER who has worn out a barrel HUNTING.

False flag I calls it.

I have yet to meet a big game HUNTER who has worn out a barrel HUNTING.

False flag I calls it.
It would take me many lifetimes to fire 1000 rounds at game, but this is a long range site and I think practice is important if long range hunting is your goal. Unless you have a different trainer rifle....