25-06 Ladder Test

8andbait

Recently did a Ladder Test for my 25-06. I have been using H 4831 SC with varied results so thought I would try some Retumbo.
Using a 115 gr VLD and a CCI 250 Primer seated at .010 Jump.
I thoroughly cleaned the barrel and fired two fouling shots (usually only takes one) Then I started at 53.5 gr at 300 yards.
I think I have a nice node at 54.5-56 grains with less than 1" of verticle.
I have 5 rounds loaded at 55 and 55.5 grains that I will test next week.

1) 53.5
2)54
3)54.5 Shots 3,4,5 formed a 1.2" triangle and shot 6 was same elevation
4)55
5)55.5
6)56
7)56.5
8)57
9)57.5
10)58
11)58.5
12)59

1 is the bottom shot
2 is just above it
3,4,5 are the most right triangle up about 3"
6 is about 2" to the left of 3,4,5
7 is up 1.5 inches
8 is back down and just left of 3,4,5
9 is above 6 and to the left of 7
10, 11, 12 are from the bull up

25-06300yardLadderwithRetubo1.jpg

Nice...I actually had the opposite of your test. I had varied results with Retumbo and switched to H4831SC. 54 gr of H4831SC will get me 1/2 MOA out to 700 yards if I do my part.

Lets us know how your final test goes. Sounds like you have a good load in the making.

my best load with H4831SC was 54.3 gr. I would get 1/2 MOA one day then the next day it would shoot 1 moa. I tried Fed 210M, CCI 200 and CCI 250 primers with basically the same results. The ladder test I did with the H4831SC revealed a node between 53.5 and 55 very similiar to the retumbo test so not sure if retumbo is the answer yet.

gary

I don't understand why folks think a single shot hole represents where the center of a many shot group will be. Therefore, why do folks just shoot 1 shot for each load for a ladder test?

What if a 20-shot group for a given load is twice as large as the vertical separation of two shot holes each with a different powder charge?

Please help me out; I'm ignorant in these things.

Bart, each shot represents a different load weight. When you get a "group" with varying loads it typically is a "node" in the barrel that represents a sweet spot.

When developing a load it is faster and easier to load 10-14 different charges instead of 3-5 of each charge. If I loaded 3 shots at each load I would have had to fire 36 shots to learn what I learned from 12 shots.

These are the 5 shot groups at 200 yards from the two loads that looked best from the ladder test. Not sure what happened with shot 1 on the 55gr load.
I had some swirling winds this morning, started out straight down range then from left to right then coming at me. Only about 5-7 mph though.

25-0655grretumbo010jumpvld-1.jpg

25-06555grretumbo010jump-1.jpg

Bart, each shot represents a different load weight. When you get a "group" with varying loads it typically is a "node" in the barrel that represents a sweet spot.
But each shot doesn't represent the center of a group of many shots of that same load.

The bigger a many-shot group is for a given load, the least reliable a single shot of that load represents where its center is.

Ladder testing is based on the assumption that a single shot represents the center of a many-shot group with that load.

I tried a lot of ladder testing a long time ago when it became fashionable for testing loads. Not as good as shooting a single 20-shot group with each load.

I don't believe it represents any node in the barrel. Too many barrels of different shapes and lengths I've seen have shot the same lot of ammo into no worse than 3 to 4 inches at 600 yards. None of those barrels had the same "node."

For ladder testing I shoot two shots for each load and I only vary my loads by 2 tenths of grain to really find the sweet spot. And I take some poster board and draw a 'crosshair ladder' and for each 'rung' of the ladder I label each with a number or letter for which load I am shooting at that aiming point so I don't mess up and lose track of which bullet hole is what. I prefer to label loads by letters so there is no screw up in the ammo box (I write the letter on the primer), I choose this over numbers for the fact that a 6 could be mistaken for a 9. I have tested well over 20 different loads in one rifle just trying to get that sub 1/2 moa.

From reading your thread it sounds like you are not only looking for a load but haven't fully settled on a powder yet either. In that case I suggest you try Reloader 22 for your 25-06. I have tried a whole laundry list of powder/ bullet combos in several different rifles and Reloader 22 gave me better accuracy, consistency and higher velocities than anything else I tried. It's simply the best thing I have found for the 25-06 and has made a huge difference for me.

My current hunting load consists of neck sized Winchester brass, a Winchester WLR primer, 51.5gr of RL22 and a 110gr Nosler Accubond seated .015 off the lands. This load is conservative and shoots amazingly well out of several different quarter bores in my stable.

From reading your thread it sounds like you are not only looking for a load but haven't fully settled on a powder yet either. In that case I suggest you try Reloader 22 for your 25-06. I have tried a whole laundry list of powder/ bullet combos in several different rifles and Reloader 22 gave me better accuracy, consistency and higher velocities than anything else I tried. It's simply the best thing I have found for the 25-06 and has made a huge difference for me.

My current hunting load consists of neck sized Winchester brass, a Winchester WLR primer, 51.5gr of RL22 and a 110gr Nosler Accubond seated .015 off the lands. This load is conservative and shoots amazingly well out of several different quarter bores in my stable.

Thanks for the tip, I see you are in GA. Do you get to shoot in very cold weather? I have been trying to stay with the extreme powders for their consistency in different temps. I have stayed away from the Relaoder powders for that one reason.

thanks, gary

For ladder testing I shoot two shots for each load and I only vary my loads by 2 tenths of grain to really find the sweet spot. And I take some poster board and draw a 'crosshair ladder' and for each 'rung' of the ladder I label each with a number or letter for which load I am shooting at that aiming point so I don't mess up and lose track of which bullet hole is what. I prefer to label loads by letters so there is no screw up in the ammo box (I write the letter on the primer), I choose this over numbers for the fact that a 6 could be mistaken for a 9. I have tested well over 20 different loads in one rifle just trying to get that sub 1/2 moa.

Are you saying you are using different POA for a ladder test?

thanks, gary

Not cold like up north cold. Most winter days that start in the 20s or 30s wind up in the 40s-50s. Typically 2 months of cold January and February. Sometimes lows in the teens highs in the high 20s low 30s for a week or maybe even a couple. Maybe a couple of days a year with ice and snow in the northern half of the state and some years maybe not. I have hunted with RL22 in temps in the high teens low 20s and didn't even think about powder sensitivity. All loads worked just as I expected them to. You may want to just try it in your climate and and see for yourself.

I think I will give it a try. I like to shoot longer rangse so that is the only problem. If I was keeping it under 300 I don't think it would matter at all.
Thanks for the response I appreciate it. I have a 6.5-284 on order that could probably use some RL22 also.

What is the twist of your barrel? If it's the standard 1 in 10" then you're going to be limited to the size of bullet that you can shoot.

I've tried it all on my 25-06...My gunsmith pointed me the right direction when I first started reloading. Try 85 or 87 grain bullets with H4350. Work up in .5 grain incriments and shoot 3-shot groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.