25-06 Ladder Test

8andbait- in response to your question about if i use two different points of aim, yes. this way there is no confusion on which bullet holes is for which load. ie. i start with the lesser charge at the top of the ladder and charges increase down the ladder at each rung or vice versa. this way you can watch each charge seperately and see where your barrel comes ' into tune' i have a very lightweight .300 wsm with a pencil thin barrel and it took around 200 rounds to get it shooting in the mid .3's and even once had a 3 shot group that measured .242. it took some extensive ladder testing and narrowing my loads down to testing by the 1/10th of a grain to get this thing dialed

What is the twist of your barrel? If it's the standard 1 in 10" then you're going to be limited to the size of bullet that you can shoot.

I've tried it all on my 25-06...My gunsmith pointed me the right direction when I first started reloading. Try 85 or 87 grain bullets with H4350. Work up in .5 grain incriments and shoot 3-shot groups.

It's a 1:10 twist. I have 300 of these bergers so I am determined to get them shooting good. Actually they are shooting plenty good to kill stuff out to 400 but I am trying to refine it down to smaller groups.
I loaded 9 rounds today with 54 gr RL22 CCI200 primers and seated 3 at .010, 3 at .050 and 3 at .090. Not very good results. about 1-1.25" groups for all three. The speeds were really good though with all three loads with less than 15 fps ES. .010 jump has been the best with every powder I have tried so I am going to load up a few at 54.3, 54.6, 54.9, 52.2 and see how they do.

Going hunting tomorrow AM for the weekend so will have to test next week.

gary

Last edited:
The Berger's will shoot great out of a 1-10, your just going to have to find your seating depth with them though.

It might take only bumping them in .005 at a time in order to keep from jumping over their sweet spot but you will see it coming and it will be nice.

I have shot RL-22 almost exclusively in mine since back in the early to mid 80's when I got it. It won't let you down.

Wishin you the best with yours.

The Berger's will shoot great out of a 1-10, your just going to have to find your seating depth with them though.

It might take only bumping them in .005 at a time in order to keep from jumping over their sweet spot but you will see it coming and it will be nice.

I have shot RL-22 almost exclusively in mine since back in the early to mid 80's when I got it. It won't let you down.

Wishin you the best with yours.

What is bugging me is it shot the Hornady factory 117 gr sst into 1/2 moa out to 400. I took one apart and it had 53 gr of a flake powder in it. I dont want to shoot the sst anyway but thought I could get a look at the powder, not sure what it is.

With 54.3 gr of H4831SC I have had several groups under 3/4 inch at 200 yards but have also had a few 1.5-2" groups. I am starting to wonder if it just fouls quickly, but I could shoot over 60 of the factory rounds before it started to spread out.

I like loading and shooting so I am not ready to panic but would be nice to get some consistency. Everytime I think I find something I can't duplicate it.

My creedmoor was too easy, found the load on day one and it still is the load.

thanks, gary

My good friend and hunting bud had a 25 built and was trying out different bullets. He took the time to run close to a hundred rounds through the new barrel to "break it in" something he is not usually accustomed to doing.

Like you it shot the Hornady standard and Light Mag loads into little clusters, but just about everything else we tried wouldn't drop below 1.5".

He worked up to my load of RL-22 with the Partition and it shot VERY well, but still not into the ragged holes of the factory stuff. We also found that both the Nosler and the Bergers did foul his barrel within am matter of around 25 shots, to the point the groups would start to open up even bigger.

That may be the whole issue with yours. It may be building up copper and throwing your groups. I know for a fact the jackets on them are much softer than what Hornady or most anyone else other than probably Nosler uses.

With mine, I simply just have so many rounds down the tube it is WELL polished. I usually only clean it about once a year. She still shoots well enough that I don't mind what little build up we get form the Nosler's we run through it. Then again nowadays we probably don't run 20 rounds a year through it either compared to years ago when I was playing with every new load I could find for it.

About the only bit of advice I could offer would be to possibly run some JB through it on a tight patch and polish it up a bit. I wouldn't get overly aggressive, but I have found with a couple of rifles that a half dozen patches or so, slathered down with JB, and gently stroked through the barrel several times each will polish it up something good.

I agree with the bergers may be softer. I get quite a bit more copper fouling with the bergers than the hornady bullets. This may be the reason for getting the so called flier. Quite a few of the loads will put two in one hole or very close then the third 1-1.5" away (at 200 yds).

I have a few more loaded up I am going to try out tomorrow. I have not cleaned the barrel so we will see what these produce. Everytime I change powder I clean the barrel and start with two foulers. I am going to get some pics up of the groups I shot thursday with the RL22.

thanks, gary

54 gr RL22 .010 jump 100 yards
25-06RL2254gr010jump-1.jpg

54 RL22 .050 jump
25-06rl2254gr050-1.jpg

54 gr RL22 .090 Jump
25-06rl2254gr090-1.jpg

By comparison this is the CRDMR with 42.1 H4350 with .070 jump at 100 yards

65crdmr4214350070-1.jpg

All these were shot round robin style. The CRDMR was shot as the 4th, 2nd and 1st shots in the string of 5 different loads during development. This is still the load and does this all the time, I don't shoot it at 100 yards much but have gotten several groups at 200 yards of this size

shot these round robin this morning

54.3 RL 22
25-06543RL22.jpg

54.6 RL 22

25-06549RL22.jpg

54.9 RL 22

25-06546RL22.jpg

Going to load up 9 more and shoot at 200, 300, 400 and see if it is consistent.

Gary

Looks like it is coming close. I think it is a matter of fine tuning the charge weight and you will have it. What are you at for seating depth. I would stay with that instead of trying to change too many variables at once

I am at .010 jump, this has been the best seating depth with every powder and charge weight I have tried. We will see tomorrow when I try this load at longer ranges.
I am pretty happy with the results at 54.3 RL22 because it wasn't cleaned and those shots were the 1st, 10th and 14th in the round robin.

gary

You can even try goin a tenth of a grain either way of that load and see what it does. Brian Litz says that 100 yards is great for testing and that .010" off the lands is great for starting out. So if she shoots good at a 100 like the group you posted, then it should shoot good at long range

Well, think I got a good load now. I ended up with RL-22 and CCI 250 Primers.
200 Yards the circled group, the other was a H4831SC load that is also pretty good. The 200 yard dot is 1.5" and the 300 and 400 yard targets are 3". I think I can work with this, may try a .1 gr up or down but happy with this.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Gary

25-06552RL22200yd.jpg

300 Yards

25-06552RL22300yd.jpg

400 Yards

25-06552RL22400yd.jpg

Not too bad. I know you have a bunch of Bergers but just for giggles you may want to try some of the 110gr Accubonds. I know different rifles. different loads etc. etc. but man they really really shoot for me. They hit whitetails like a several size larger bullet and always have given me a broadside through and through. I went to check zero on my sons Savage 110 for an upcoming out of state hunt yesterday. I fired 5 rounds at 100yds from a sandbag, all 12 o clock within the bull just where I left it last time and could completely cover the group with a dime. Heck if they shoot as well for you as they do for me there's always a market for the Bergers.:)

Good luck

I appreciate the suggestion but I am staying with ther bergers. I like their performance in my other calibers. I am not interested in high weight retention or pass throughs with this particular set up.
I did try som 100 gr NBT and got tiny 100 yard groups but they opened up to MOA or larger at longer ranges.

Thanks again, gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts