25-06: Federal Fusion BSP vs. HSM Berger VLD

Goodtobetheking

I'm looking at two different factory loads and trying to figure out if there's enough difference to shop on ballistic performance, assuming both are equally accurate from my rifle, of course, the Federal Fusion w/120gr Bonded Soft Point vs. HSM Trophy Gold w/115gr Berger VLD. Test questions at the bottom. :)

Here are the specs I found:

HSM Trophy Gold w/115gr Berger VLD
  • BC = 0.466
  • Wt = 115 Grains
  • SD = 0.249
  • MV = 3165 FPS
  • ME = 2559 Ft/Lbs
Federal Fusion w/120gr Bonded Soft Point
  • BC = 0.468
  • Wt = 120 Grains
  • SD = .260
  • MV = 2980 FPS
  • ME = 2366 Ft/Lbs
The Federal round wins on BC, Wt and SD, the HSM round wins on MV and ME - all by arguably slight margins.

I don't have comparable drop, drift or recoil data, but assume:
  • Drop - with a nearly identical BC, lower Wt and higher velocity, the HSM round will [likely] slightly outperform the Federal round on drop
  • Drift - with a higher BC and Wt, the Federal round will [likely] slightly outperform the HSM round on drift
  • Recoil - differences are [likely] so minor that the weight of the rifle is a bigger factor on perceived recoil than the round...right?

I know, I know...a deer won't know the difference if hit by either, but:
  1. Does 193 FPs more energy and a bit less drop for the HSM round trump the better BC, SD, Wt and [likely] better drift of the Federal?
  2. Should/would they perform equally well in the same 1:10 twist barrel, or is one a bit more stable than the other?
  3. Has anyone tested these rounds side by side for performance consistency?

Thanks!

Which ever one the gun shoots better.

I use the 115gr HVLD in my 257 weatherby that isn't loaded hot so probably acts like a 25-06. The gun shoots them under .75 MOA typically and they had no problem killing my cow elk about 4 years ago. I shot it twice, but during cleaning I found the first shot had done a solid job on the double lung hit and the 2nd round wasn't necessary. It did help speed up the ending though. The shots were at about 260-280 yards. First shot was broadside double lung. 2nd was quartering away and was a single lung into the off side shoulder.

P.S. Dont get bogged down with BC, velocity, etc. If you are going to buy factory ammo buy a couple boxes of each shoot them both. Whichever one groups the best is what you should choose.

[QUOTE="While you are shopping take a look at the 110gr eldx in the hornady precision hunter.[/QUOTE]

Will check it out, thanks!

[QUOTE="I am still having a hard time believing they are accurate...in every other caliber the fusion soft point bcs are lower than their VLD counterpart".[/QUOTE]

It caught my attention as dubious as well, but it's the only "official" data I could find.

Until you can verify muzzle velocity there's not much I can tell you. I've seen factory ammo chronograph 300 fps slower than advertised before.

The 115 HVLD stomps deer into the dirt...if you put it where it needs to go of course. From near to (relatively) far.
IF the 120 has the BC it claims, .002BC will not even be noticable. But the added velocity WILL in drops. I would bet accuracy will be great with the 115 HVLD too, from personal experience with several other .257" rifles.

I'm looking at two different factory loads and trying to figure out if there's enough difference to shop on ballistic performance, assuming both are equally accurate from my rifle, of course, the Federal Fusion w/120gr Bonded Soft Point vs. HSM Trophy Gold w/115gr Berger VLD. Test questions at the bottom. :)

Here are the specs I found:

HSM Trophy Gold w/115gr Berger VLD
  • BC = 0.466
  • Wt = 115 Grains
  • SD = 0.249
  • MV = 3165 FPS
  • ME = 2559 Ft/Lbs
Federal Fusion w/120gr Bonded Soft Point
  • BC = 0.468
  • Wt = 120 Grains
  • SD = .260
  • MV = 2980 FPS
  • ME = 2366 Ft/Lbs
The Federal round wins on BC, Wt and SD, the HSM round wins on MV and ME - all by arguably slight margins.

I don't have comparable drop, drift or recoil data, but assume:
  • Drop - with a nearly identical BC, lower Wt and higher velocity, the HSM round will [likely] slightly outperform the Federal round on drop
  • Drift - with a higher BC and Wt, the Federal round will [likely] slightly outperform the HSM round on drift
  • Recoil - differences are [likely] so minor that the weight of the rifle is a bigger factor on perceived recoil than the round...right?

I know, I know...a deer won't know the difference if hit by either, but:
  1. Does 193 FPs more energy and a bit less drop for the HSM round trump the better BC, SD, Wt and [likely] better drift of the Federal?
  2. Should/would they perform equally well in the same 1:10 twist barrel, or is one a bit more stable than the other?
  3. Has anyone tested these rounds side by side for performance consistency?

Thanks!
I would let the rifle tell me which one to shoot. Statistics are close enough to be a moot point in my world.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.