25-06 AI

With 257 Weatherby and Vihtavouri N560 powder with a non magnum primer the Bee makes 25-06 AI less credible. With muzzle velocity of 3350 FPS and excellent accuracy it wins hands down.
I just had a custom 257 Weatherby built. It is accurate for sure, but it's very finicky. I also cannot get my extreme spreads below 35-40 fps. There is quite a bit of empty case volume that's just air space using H1000. I can get a load to slightly compress with N570…..still the ES's are high.

Do you think I need a hotter primer? I have tried the 215GMN and the CCI250. Maybe a WLRM?

I don't think I would have that problem with either the 25-06 AI (I'm having one built now) or the 25SST…..

I just had a custom 257 Weatherby built. It is accurate for sure, but it's very finicky. I also cannot get my extreme spreads below 35-40 fps. There is quite a bit of empty case volume that's just air space using H1000. I can get a load to slightly compress with N570…..still the ES's are high.

Do you think I need a hotter primer? I have tried the 215GMN and the CCI250. Maybe a WLRM?
Long skinny powder columns aren't easy usually.
Maybe play with neck tension. Did you use the WBY freebore?

There is still a place for the 25/06AI. I have one and I chamber rifles in that caliber. Still popular. They are our go to rock chuck rifles. Unless you are really really serious about shooting ONLY 130gr+ bullets, don't give in to the new "fast twist" BS propaganda. You will be stuck shooting only the really heavy bullets. Everything else will come apart from being spun too fast. Stick with 1:10 to 1:9. Supplies are too sparse to be limited to only a couple bullet choices.

Good idea - but only if the subject barrel has the twist rate for the heavier bullets. I think we're on the leading edge of a significant migration to much faster twist rates. This will be a defining element of 'old' vs 'new' rifle technology for quite some time.
If you are going towards all copper bullets, yes I would update the twist rate. Just to increase the powder load in an AI chambering, and continue to use the same bullets I don't see it being needed. It come into what you are after. To go to additional expense to add a barrel is another story. If it was me, and one of my 25/06's I would just rechamber the barrel, and not get a new one. It's all deep your pocket is.

I should add that I've chambered a couple for guys with 7.5t barrels "planning" on shooting the 130s and could never get bullets and then tried to 87gr bullets because that's what is available. They then complained about bullets blowing up or poor performance etc. I'd buy you're bullets before you buy your barrel these days. And stop following the sheep as far as powder is concerned. If H1000 doesn't give the ES you want, try something different(faster) and stop blaming the round because you won't try different powder.

Wished I could help ya with your brass issues.

I had a 24-05 AI built a while back, the highlights are,

Broughton 5C 4.1 Magnum Sporter 28"
Rem 700 action - accurized
Jewel trigger set to a very crisp 2#
Holland Recoil Lug
Callahan Speedlock Aluminum Firing Pin Assembly
Burris Signature Rings and base
Weaver Tactical 4.5 x 14

I have the standard version and have loved it so figured I'd go a step further and built the other. I like using both 120 and 130gr bullets. It rocks with the longer barrel and Ramshot Magnum.

There is still a place for the 25/06AI. I have one and I chamber rifles in that caliber. Still popular. They are our go to rock chuck rifles. Unless you are really really serious about shooting ONLY 130gr+ bullets, don't give in to the new "fast twist" BS propaganda. You will be stuck shooting only the really heavy bullets. Everything else will come apart from being spun too fast. Stick with 1:10 to 1:9. Supplies are too sparse to be limited to only a couple bullet choices.
I agree with you. I went fast twist but I shoot Hammer bullets so I don't have to worry about bullet blow up. The 500 120 grain Nosler partitions I have are just sitting in the boxes waiting for the 25-06ai. The versatility would have been better with a 1-10 twist.

If you run the ballistics with the 133 Berger in a 257 Weatherby, it's really not much different than a 264 win mag. So just get the 264. I would definitely get a 1/10 twist if I had it to do over.

With 257 Weatherby and Vihtavouri N560 powder with a non magnum primer the Bee makes 25-06 AI less credible. With muzzle velocity of 3350 FPS and excellent accuracy it wins hands down.
With what bullet?

I had a .25-06AI for about 8 years.

100 TTSX @ 3600 or 115 HVLD @ 3450.
Zapped quite a few deer over the years with it.

Now I have a 25SST and run a 133 @ 3199, but got them up over 3300.

I considered .25-06/AI but went with .257 WBY instead. It has 1:7" and specifically built to propel heavies - 131 BJ's and 133/135 Bergers, but went directly to 145 BH. The 145s are going 3K+ FPS with my initial load with powder I already have open. It is also going to be suppressed.

ADDED:

I forgot to add that an LRH Brother gave me a couple boxes of 134 ELD-M to try.

Last edited:
With what bullet?

I had a .25-06AI for about 8 years.

100 TTSX @ 3600 or 115 HVLD @ 3450.
Zapped quite a few deer over the years with it.

Now I have a 25SST and run a 133 @ 3199, but got them up over 3300.
I've got a feeling this Max is going to be on top of or beyond the Wby. No matter the bullet size. 26" vs 26"