25-06 Ackley Improved velocities

Stan Taylor at Douglas passed away about a month ago, better check with them about what is going on at this time.
Man I hate too hear that he is who barreled up my 25-284 last year , he was really a nice man and easy too deal with . He did a great job , or had one of his employees do the work , but I think he did the work.

Factory case, AI and Sherman.

I used 280ai patent brass also

Attachments

• C6CD8E28-C542-4072-840F-BD1BC3A91EC5.jpeg
    C6CD8E28-C542-4072-840F-BD1BC3A91EC5.jpeg
    910.8 KB · Views: 50
I fire-formed Lapua and some new '69 Lake City match brass, but the downside is a shorter neck. HARD to kill the primer pockets with either of these two types of brass. I used 14g of Bullseye and cream of wheat to fire form with. Accuracy was stellar with both brands of brass at warp speed pushing high pressure.

Forming the brass is a good Wintertime project. I got a 40-gallon trash can, cut a 3/4" hole in the bottom, wound up a roll of Finger Foam and placed that in the trash can. Finger foam is the type that is used in beds to keep old folks from getting bed sores. I fire-formed the brass right in my garage, turning the trash can upside down, and placing the muzzle about 6" down in the finger foam. This produced a very quiet fire forming.

The Lapua brass is particularly tough in the case head, and the Lake City is no slouch either.

All of this fire forming is a tad bit of work, but a guy that likes to tinker needs to stay busy.

To keep doughnuts from forming, I neck turned at 30 caliber, then necked down, never had a problem with doughnuts as part of the thinned neck became part of the shoulder. Neck turning would not be a bad practice for a guy that is necking down 280 AI brass either.

Since I never shot full-length necks, the carbon issue in the necks was never an issue, but a few twists with a brush .015 larger than the neck kept the carbon to a non-existent issue.

I shot that barrel out on Coyotes, rock chucks, and long range jack rabbits. I never wore the brass out. 100 '06 lapua cases and 100 New Lake city brass lasted the entire barrel.

Last edited:
Do have any spec or dimensions on the Sherman case? I have seen some loading in the Sherman case in different calibers. I download them into a file. I didn't see anything on 257cal. I'll have to go back and take a look. Interesting.

Mr Rich is very helpful and knowledgeable if you have questions, also.

Attachments

• 567F4986-41A3-4B75-8C69-43EC93012A77.jpeg
    567F4986-41A3-4B75-8C69-43EC93012A77.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 50
I fire-formed Lapua and some new '69 Lake City match brass, but the downside is a shorter neck. HARD to kill the primer pockets with either of these two types of brass. I used 14g of Bullseye and cream of wheat to fire form with. Accuracy was stellar with both brands of brass at warp speed pushing high pressure.

Forming the brass is a good Wintertime project. I got a 40-gallon trash can, cut a 3/4" hole in the bottom, wound up a roll of Finger Foam and placed that in the trash can. Finger foam is the type that is used in beds to keep old folks from getting bed sores. I fire-formed the brass right in my garage, turning the trash can upside down, and placing the muzzle about 6" down in the finger foam. This produced a very quiet fire forming.

The Lapua brass is particularly tough in the case head, and the Lake City is no slouch either.

All of this fire forming is a tad bit of work, but a guy that likes to tinker needs to stay busy.

To keep doughnuts from forming, I neck turned at 30 caliber, then necked down, never had a problem with doughnuts as part of the thinned neck became part of the shoulder. Neck turning would not be a bad practice for a guy that is necking down 280 AI brass either.

Since I never shot full-length necks, the carbon issue in the necks was never an issue, but a few twists with a brush .015 larger than the neck kept the carbon to a non-existent issue.

I shot that barrel out on Coyotes, rock chucks, and long range jack rabbits. I never wore the brass out. 100 '06 lapua cases and 100 New Lake city brass lasted the entire barrel.
i did read about you fireforming your cases. I had the smith order a 2nd action to set for fireforming my cases. I have an extra stock from to place the actions into to do the work. I'll find two barrels in the calibers I going to use and have them reamed to those case dimensions. I'll just change out barrels as needed. My sons will be set for life. 😂 😂