25-06 Ackley Improved - Results

Tightline2001

I just wanted to put out there that I finnally worked up a load that I am finnally pleased with in my 25-06 AI. I know I had a tuff time searching and finding load data and a lot of frustraighting time at the press and range so I wanted put this out there to those that know where Im coming from. I always appreciate load info that I get from other memebers so this is my turn to return the favor.

The specs on my rifle are:
Howa action
Bell and Carlson stock that is free floated an pilar bedded
26in #5 Fluted Lilja 1-10 twist barrel chambered for the 25-06 AI
Trim lenght is 2.479
COL 3.198
Bullet is the Nosler 100 grain balistic tip hunting bullet
Powder and charge is 59.8 grains of H1000

I have tried a lot of powders and bullets and this load exceeds them all. At 150yds I was shooting a jagged 4 shot hole group. The charge is barley over the max load for the standard 25-06 and there was no sign of any pressure problems.

It chronoed at 3234fps

If there are any 25-06 AI shooters out there I hope this may help out.

Tightline

I went a bit different direction. 115 Berger with Retumbo and CCI primers. Shot absolutely awesome and was pretty much in the same ballpark for velocity as your 100 grain load with no pressure signs.

Thats awsome. I have not tried anything over 100s yet because i just tried to stick with it untill i found the recipie. I would love to get mine shoothing heavier bullets with that fps as you. If you dont mind me asking what charge of retumbo where you using to get that?

Here is the picture of the four shot group mine shot at 150yds the other day

25-06AI4shotgroup.jpg

Mine likes 58grs VVN165 CCI 115 gr NBT seated 16 thou off the lands. I have a rechambered 700 CDL and if prefers the heavy bullets, which is not all that flexable:cool:. It better learn to like 110gr'ers or it can pack its bags!:rolleyes:

Tim J.

Im struggling with my 25AI. I cannot get the 110 nos accubond to shoot for beans. up/down different powders. I gave up on it for now. shot my antelope last year with the 115 nos btp. 400yds dead goat. Im using h4831 and magpro. seirra book. not the speed I would like 115@3125 but works for now. the rifle has a 26" barrel, maybe my chrony setup wrong. I understand every rifle is different but I could use alittle insite to others loads. thanks for the input.

mark308 - get some reloader 22 and start out with 53 grains and work up slowly from there. i was shooting mine today and trying some 110 accubonds and the best group i got was a little under a half inch at 150yds and that was with 55.5 grains of powder with CCI 250 primers and the col was 3.198. what twist is your barrel?

I will give the r22 a try. I stayed away from it because its supposed to be too sensitive to temp changes. I really want the nosler 110 accubond to work. I'll set it at .040 off the lands to start. it would be the one bullet does it all for me. will see. Im set to go out and shoot some 100&115

why would you want to shoot a crow out of a tree with a 25-06 or any centerfire? How do you know where bullet would hit if you miss?
here is how it was the 25-06 was the only rifle i had with me and the only place you ever see crows are in trees and i'm sure you don't live in the country like i do. So i didn't miss so where do you think the bullet went?