30-06 Ackley Improved

Wind Dancer

Anybody out there know anything about the .30-06 Ackley Improved. Specifically, I would like to know: 1. Can the brass simply be fire formed from 30-06 brass? 2. How is barrel life compared to a 300 WSM or 300 WM? 3. How good is accuracy? 4. I assume recoil is significantly less than any of the 300 mags, but would like any first hand experience. Thanks.

1. Can the brass simply be fire formed from 30-06 brass?
Yep, thats the whole idea.
2. How is barrel life compared to a 300 WSM or 300 WM?
It will be significantly longer, about the same as 30-06 (for obvious reasons)
3. How good is accuracy?
In the ones I have seen, pretty good... of course its the rifle thats most important in the equation.
4. I assume recoil is significantly less than any of the 300 mags, but would like any first hand experience.
Correct again, less recoil too.
The first time I ever saw the 30-06 Ackley, I fell in love with it. Its just a neat round. Unfortunately the capacity increase is very, very small. I think the most often quoted figure is 5%. About the best performance increase is 25-50 fps at the most, and this is best realized with heavy bullets. Don't forget that the reduced case taper helps to mask pressure signs, making it hard to draw the line between max, and over max loads. Its a neat conversion if you already have a 30-06, but its unreasonable to expect to duplicate the 300WM at standard pressures. Even after all that rationalization, Im still proud to say that its one of my favorite "wildcats" and I wish I had held onto mine longer.

Abinok , is right about all of the above in a 26" barrel its prett easy to match "factory" 300Win mag loads and doing so with a good bit less muzzel blast and recoil.
The case life and added power for heavy bullets is the main benifit that I have seen as for the accuracy if the gun wasen't put together right with good parts then it ain't gonna be the shooter you want no matter what caliber but in properly built rifles it is everybit as accurate as the parent 30-06 or 308.
I am finding that N-550 works great with the 165gr class bullets and the R-22 and IMR-4350 are the ticket for the 180 class slugs.

OH and one other thing if a smith tells you he can rechamber your 30-06 barrel without setting the shoulder back , pick up your gun and leave!!

The 30-06 Ackley case is slightly shorter at the neck shoulder junction than the regular 30-06. You can still fire form your cases by simply firing factory ammo , you'll just notice a small amout of pressure to close your bolt.
NOW if you simply run a 30-06Ai reamer into and existing
30-06 chamber your gonna end up with a excessive head space problem which can be very dangerous if you were to fire a factory 30-06 case , BUT , the resulting chamber will be somewhat of a 30 Gibbs which is another fine round its just a little safer to fire form your cases with handloads that seat the bullet out into the lands hard.

One bit of advice though , unless you already have a 30 caliber barrel , I'd give a hard look at the 280 Ackley , you'll get a loittle better BC with the bullets and a little bit less recoil both factors if you plan on shooting way out their. The 280 Ai may be the next toy I get started

j.jones i had to keep my first gun a .30-06..tweeked it to ..AI looking to shoot 155gr scenar.any load data on that? 168gr matchkings also?

Made one on a Win 70 action with the BOSS ( essentially a 21.5" bbl ). I fired regural '06 brass for fireforming. My best load for accuracy velocity was 2900 fpr with a 180 with a stiff load of RL 22.

I have the .270 AI. It's a gun that i had built 15-17 years ago after reading the PO Ackley book. All you gain is 5-6 grains of powder. But it's just whats required for the heaviest bullets and powders like IMR 7828 and H-1000.

Life is all about learning.

Bucknutz , I have found that IMR-4350 is about the best all around powder for this case with bullets up to 180 then a little slower R-22 seems to work better.
I currently trying some loads using VihtaVuori N-550 and it seems to be doing realy well with the 150 and 165 gr bullets and will probably end up being a little more consistant and faster than the 4350 , or at least that is what it is showing so far.
My current pet load for the 168gr SMK is 62 gr of IMR-4350 with the bullets seated out to touch the lands , this load is well aboue the listed max which is about 58grs so start way low and work up to it.

Hey Bucknutz , shoot me a E-mail , I have a question for ya
put 30-06Ackley as the heading so I recconize it

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.