25-06 Ackley Improved velocities

Id like to be able to shoot out to 500yds for deer and pronghorn.
My farthest shot on mule deer was 488 yards with the 100TTSX. Hard quartering on, like 70* angle. We had a stare down for 10 minutes, as he had me pegged. When all his smaller buddies took off, he looked at them leaving, and I decided it was now or never. I dropped the hammer, and he did not react to the shot at all. I thought I had missed. I loaded another round quickly (maybe 5 seconds went by), and was just getting ready to squeeze off a second shot, when he stood straight up on his hind legs and toppled over backwards without a kick. Dead.

Bullet had entered between neck/shoulder, traveled through approximately 36" of deer, and exited the rear hip. Insides were Jell-o. He was dead the whole time, he just didn't know it.

That being said, I would do a fast 1:7.5" or 1:8" twist now, and run either a 133 Elite/135 LRHT or a 121 or 128 Hammer Hunter if you like copper. I think 3300 should be possible with the 133/135, or close to 3400 with the 121.

I've built half a dozen AI's and they have all shot well. All Krieger or Bart's so far. We used them primarily for WT deer.
Crowding 3,500 with the 100 ballistic tip and it hasn't given us a reason to change. One friend is using the 115 Berger very successfully.
If I recall correctly he backed off of 3,300 a bit and found great accuracy there.. I'd guess the mono's would be great in this round but haven't tried them yet. At the moment my .25-06 ack is a 6.5-06 ackley.. Had the reamer so had try it out..

Had mine 25-06ai within 50fps of what nosler data showed for 257 weatherby with 85 grain ballistic tip and no pressure signs! Backed it off a little for just in case!!! Shot them well with a 1-8 twist barrel.

Im new to reloading, brand new... Help me out here, my estimations is a slight improvement in velocity and trajectory but IMO 50fps doesnt seem worth it.
100fps gain seems to show some improvement, i was hoping for about 200fps gains would really improve the terminal velocity range of the projectiles.
If you are brand new just run the 25-06 and get acquainted and comfortable with reloading,, I've killed a heap of critter with the plain Jane 25-06, she will serve you well

If you are brand new just run the 25-06 and get acquainted and comfortable with reloading,, I've killed a heap of critter with the plain Jane 25-06, she will serve you well
I have a good foundation, im committed to learning since ive invested in reloading components. Ive even worked up a couple of ladder tests when I discovered the barrel condition I just decided to replace it now. I can learn to reload AI if I decide to go there, this thread is more about if its worth it.
Lots of good replies in here and so far more positive than against it i lean to AI.

I have a good foundation, im committed to learning since ive invested in reloading components. Ive even worked up a couple of ladder tests when I discovered the barrel condition I just decided to replace it now. I can learn to reload AI if I decide to go there, this thread is more about if its worth it.
Lots of good replies in here and so far more positive than against it i lean to AI.
Listen too Bean he can help you a lot , personally I would lean towards the lighter Hammers . The Hammer will give you a 100 fps advantage over Barnes right out of the box , then the absolutes will pick up another 100 too 150 fps over the reg Hammers and the ai will give you another 100 fps . Do the math that's 350 fps over factory easily . If your bent on the heavier bullets check the 117 gr absolute out then you can even pick up more vel over the 121 gr . There are a lot of us on here that can get you going on a good load , including Steve from Hammer bullets.

Listen too Bean he can help you a lot , personally I would lean towards the lighter Hammers . The Hammer will give you a 100 fps advantage over Barnes right out of the box , then the absolutes will pick up another 100 too 150 fps over the reg Hammers and the ai will give you another 100 fps . Do the math that's 350 fps over factory easily . If your bent on the heavier bullets check the 117 gr absolute out then you can even pick up more vel over the 121 gr . There are a lot of us on here that can get you going on a good load , including Steve from Hammer bullets.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ShoNuff^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is super helpful and keeps me leaning in favor of the AI chamber. I also elk hunt with this rifle, been hunting with it for about 25ish years, but now its my only big game rifle so once I get the 7 twist barrel Im interested in the heavier projectiles like from Hammer. I dont need to max anything out but just like the idea of the AI advantage giving the quarterbore a boost. Id need to learn to develope a load with little to no published load data... Im comfortable with that prospect and already read a little about that just watch for pressure signs and if I got even just 150fps advantage it would increase the terminal velocity of the Hammers or Barnes by another 100yds or so. Ive lurked in this forum to know there is some very knowledgeable members here so I appreciate the input and wont be shy about asking questions.

Have mine since the mid to late 60's Parker A built mine for me. My 25-06 AI has been one of my favorites with a thumbhole Fajen stock. Mine was throated a little longer to drop the PSI some and I still get over 3550 FPS with my Nosler's . Using 4831 w/ 58.10 gr charge its my mid-west hunting rifle. My friend's 25 NIEDNER that I load for him using 4831 w/ 54.8 gr getting around 3210 fps . Mine is faster then the 257 Weatherby using some 10 gr less of a powder charge. Been using the Nosler Partitions , AccuBond's and their Silvertip's for years now. Believe am running a 1:10 Twist ???? Am not a believer in super hot - barrel burner loads ! I rather go with a longer tube !

Last edited:
My longest shot with the AI is 484 - a one shot kill that resulted in a flip over backward. But the real advantage beyond the added FPS MV is the ease in reloading. What a joy.
Tell me about the ease or reloading the AI...
Is it because of the extra case capacity gives a wider range of load options to find a good node?