243ai and magnum primers

jaybic

Hello,

I am working up some 87 vmax/87vld loads and also 105amax/105vld and am working with primarily H4350 and H4831sc. I am also thinking about trying Retumbo and IMR 4451(I want to use an "extreme" powder if I can) and am wondering which, if any or all, of these loads might use a magnum primer and why or why not....

I want to keep velocity up as long as I dont sacrifice any accuracy to do it but have never really experimented with magnum primers but I see it mentioned with powders like H414 and some of these others so I thought I would ask.

I also have some Reloader powders if anyone has any other load ideas for an 8 twist, 26 inch 243ai.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jamie

I run a 6 Competition Match @ 115 DTACs at 3,100 fps over 49+ gr. of H1000. I use Wolf magnum primers but the magnum in the name is a misnomer - means it has a harder cup so it can handle higher pressures. prior to running the Wolf magnums I used Fed. 210Ms with great success in all temps and seasons. But, it does not get down to single digits in Vegas in the winter ....

I run my 30-06 Ackly using 210M primers over 55+ gr. of H4831SC and same or more of IMR 7828SSC. Same results for all seasons.

I also run 7WSM which uses 64+ of H4831SC - this one NEEDS a magnum primer in the winter (temps below 35ish). Regular primer works fine in anything except coldest winter.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.