Magnum primers and old 99.

dale1386

I'm needing to load up some 300 savage ammo for my old trusty Savage 99 takedown and I have but a very few large rifle primers and I've called around local and can't find any but I have several boxes of magnum primers that I have for my 270 wsm and my question is would it be ok to use those in the savage load? There's no load data for 300 savage that mentions magnum primers so how would it affect the load and rifle?

I'm needing to load up some 300 savage ammo for my old trusty Savage 99 takedown and I have but a very few large rifle primers and I've called around local and can't find any but I have several boxes of magnum primers that I have for my 270 wsm and my question is would it be ok to use those in the savage load? There's no load data for 300 savage that mentions magnum primers so how would it affect the load and rifle?
I don't have a chronograph or no way to check pressure I'll just have to inspect my fired cases. My load recipe that I've used for years using regular Winchester large rifle primers is 37gr of IMR 4895 pushing a 170gr Core-lok bullet. I've taken lots of bear hog and deer with that load and hadn't had to buy primers in years but regular large rifle primers are slim pickings in my neck of the woods.

Shoot 'em if you got 'em! There will be absolutely nothing dangerous or dysfunctional about using them if you follow standard load work up procedure. Do not just substitute them for normal primers with an existing load, might be a bit overpressure then. Work up.

I've used magnum primers in a .30-30 which is even a good bit smaller than the 300 savage - probably wasn't needed at all but living in Saskatchewan and shooting in winter temps I've made it standard practice to always use the hottest primers I can IF using compressed loads of ball or flake type powders. Just one more bit of insurance, make sure that spark plug gets the fuel burning right proper haha.

1698600647021.png

Large Rifle and Large Rifle Magnum ae not as easy to score these days, but if you are watching you can snag them...

Oh, I've also used magnum primers in .243 win for the reason you mentioned: didn't have any normal ones. My .243 also happens to be a savage 99. I don't know if magnum primers have harder cups but I do know that my particular 99 has zero issues making them go bang, in all weather conditions.

Also, kudos on still using a SWEET old school rifle!!! A 99 in the original .300 savage? That says classy!! 🤣

I like my 99, it needs brothers. Ideally before I die I come to possess three more: a .250-3000 savage, a .300 savage, and a .358 Winchester are on my "I need it" list. Such a fine rifle and important piece of history in firearms development. I know the browning BLR and Winchester 88 are supposed to be stronger and more accurate actions…haven't seen anything deficient about the 99 and those others don't do anything for me, fancier or not. I love the appearance, ergonomics, and fast smooth lever of the 99, I'll take it over the blr or 88 every time as a compliment to either the win 94 or marlin 336.

Oh, I've also used magnum primers in .243 win for the reason you mentioned: didn't have any normal ones. My .243 also happens to be a savage 99. I don't know if magnum primers have harder cups but I do know that my particular 99 has zero issues making them go bang, in all weather conditions.

Also, kudos on still using a SWEET old school rifle!!! A 99 in the original .300 savage? That says classy!! 🤣

I like my 99, it needs brothers. Ideally before I die I come to possess three more: a .250-3000 savage, a .300 savage, and a .358 Winchester are on my "I need it" list. Such a fine rifle and important piece of history in firearms development. I know the browning BLR and Winchester 88 are supposed to be stronger and more accurate actions…haven't seen anything deficient about the 99 and those others don't do anything for me, fancier or not. I love the appearance, ergonomics, and fast smooth lever of the 99, I'll take it over the blr or 88 every time as a compliment to either the win 94 or marlin 336.
I love my old savage 99 I borrowed my uncles for my first deer hunt in 1969 and a couple more old timers I knew hunted with Savage 99 and they always brought home the meat so I figured that was the gun to have so in 1975 I went to a gun show and bought my own 300 Savage model 99 takedown and hunted with it every year since. Lord at the hours and miles we've traveled together.

I love my old savage 99 I borrowed my uncles for my first deer hunt in 1969 and a couple more old timers I knew hunted with Savage 99 and they always brought home the meat so I figured that was the gun to have so in 1975 I went to a gun show and bought my own 300 Savage model 99 takedown and hunted with it every year since. Lord at the hours and miles we've traveled together.
Those things grow on you once you get to know them.

I don't own one but loaded for friends who had them back in the late 70s and early 80s.
Once I held one in the field, I understood their passion for them.

BTW, I also should have also mentioned the CCI 34 is also fine for these loads, and they work well in cold weather.

https://miwallcorp.com/cci-large-rifle-nato-primers-1000-primers/