yoda

I just bought a cva optima elite .243 thought i may try some long range shooting with this, any opinion on a bullet round to shoot throught this i thought about the 70 gr blitzking with a powder h322

I just bought a cva optima elite .243 thought i may try some long range shooting with this, any opinion on a bullet round to shoot throught this i thought about the 70 gr blitzking with a powder h322

First off, do you know what the twist rate of the barrel is?

many long range target shooters use the 6mmbr with an 8 twist. the longer bullets with a higher bc are less affected by the wind. unlikely you can use 105 to 107 . for long range i would use a 95 grain berger bullet. lapua brass. and you pick the powder and primer. the faster you can drive it with good groups the better off you are.

The thing I forgot to ask is how far do you intend/hope to shoot?

You may need a 1-9 twist barrel for the 95 grain Berger VLD, but you won't know for sure till you try some.
The 87 grain V-Max's have a pretty good BC as well as some of the Low Drag JLK bullets. I would try to find the highest BC bullets that will stabilize/shoot accurately in your rifle.

It's one of my absolute favorite all time cartridges. I run 115DTAC at about 3090. In your twist rate I'd try the 90gr Scenar or 95gr VLD if you can run them. .243 has some HP, run as heavy a pill as you can.

I'd use the 87gr Vmax, stoked up hot (3200 ish) it's flat as hell and does pretty well in the wind

It's one of my absolute favorite all time cartridges. I run 115DTAC at about 3090. In your twist rate I'd try the 90gr Scenar or 95gr VLD if you can run them. .243 has some HP, run as heavy a pill as you can.

I am trying to work on a load for my 243 for deer/pigs. I have a 1:9 1/8 twist and was thinkin of running the 95VLD's... Whats your recipe to push the 115 @ 3090? What length barrel are ya runnin?

nova- i shoot went througha whole box of 95's and could not get my buddy remington to shoot them. the 115'S need a 1 in 8 twist or maybe a little faster. in a 1 in 9 you may or may not be able to get 105a amx to stablize.

VLDs aren't something you wanted to hunt hogs with, they tend to stick in the fat and splatter on the neck plate.

Also, they won't fit in your magazine when seated properly.

Try the high BC a-max/v-max as stated above.

Personal hog head count since jan 1, 2009 (with no semi-autos and no choppers): 207 confirmed

Texas

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.