.243 Ackley

Brad

OK you've got my attention!! A 105 at 3200 24in barrel............!!!! Thats a beautiful Rifle. What contour is that barrel............?? What is your opinion of flutting?? A 1x10 wont stabalize a 105?? Will a 1x9 work for lighter bullet weights like 87 v-max?? If your getting 3200 with a 105 Im sure you could get 3400-3500 with the 85-90's

Keep in touch ............you have a lot of experiance and knowledge

You have just convinced me on the .243 Ackley..............

I did notice that of all the custom brass out there Lapua, Nosler, Hornady, there is NO 6mm but all have the .243......

Greg

[email protected]

Brad

OK you've got my attention!! A 105 at 3200 24in barrel............!!!! Thats a beautiful Rifle. What contour is that barrel............?? What is your opinion of flutting?? A 1x10 wont stabalize a 105?? Will a 1x9 work for lighter bullet weights like 87 v-max?? If your getting 3200 with a 105 Im sure you could get 3400-3500 with the 85-90's

Keep in touch ............you have a lot of experiance and knowledge

You have just convinced me on the .243 Ackley..............

I did notice that of all the custom brass out there Lapua, Nosler, Hornady, there is NO 6mm but all have the .243......

Greg

[email protected]

Greg, That barrel is a Rock Rem Varmint contour. As far as fluting, I won't do it again. I (personally) don't think it's worth the cost, when this barrel is gone I'm going to re-barrel again to 243AI. It'll be another Rem Varmint contour but I'm going to skip the flutes and have it cut to 23". It should balance about the same and I'm not worried about any kind of speed difference 1" of barrel will make. I don't feel it's worth it to put the money for fluting in the next barrel is all. I'd rather spend that money on another 500 bullets.

I wouldn't take any chances with the 1-10". Berger recommends a 1-8"tw for the 105VLD but I've had very good luck with them in 1-9". I've ran them as slow as 3050fps in sub-freezing temps to 1000yds with no stability issues and we are only about 900'asl.

I'm not trying to sway you either way, just giving my opinion and the route I went. You should read up on all your options and make up your own mind on it.

I have not played with any of the lighter bullets in the 243AI, only the 105's as the long range performance is all I was interested in.

Some guys talk about FF'ing eating up barrel life, I don't buy into that. FF loads in (8) AI'd rifles, between me and my shooting pard, all shoot VERY well and are good enough to hunt with.

I'm at not quite a 1000 rounds through this barrel and I'm still on my first 100 pieces of Lapua brass I started with, minus a couple I lost hunting her and there. I've never had to trim them after the initial trimming after forming. Primer pockets are still tight. I have no complaints.

My main load that I've shot has been 44.5gr of '17 under moly'd 105Amax's for 3250fps. I've just started playing with the VLD's again and have only tried an initial load of 44gr of '17 under the moly'd 105VLD's. I haven't chrono'd the VLD's yet so i'm just guessing they are in the 3200 range. That 705yd group in the pic I posted was shot with the rifle not having seen a cleaning rod since the round count was at ~400. I don't pick up the cleaning rod until the rifle starts opening up groups adn this one just keeps on shooting. The 243AI is one of my favorite cartridges, next to the 223AI. (grin)

After I talked to you I called Sierra bullets and talked with Paul, one of their Teck's. He said that I would need a 1x8 for their 107 but a 105 would work through the 1x9. He also said that the 1x9 will shoot the 70gr Match kings to .................so it look promising . Im going to call Hornday and Berger tomorrow..............

Thanks for all your info..............keep in touch...................Im sure I will be asking you for more info.........on the 243A

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.