243 Advice

bolski

So i grabbed a m77 Ruger 243 with the tang safe. It has Timney trigger which is very crisp and light. I love the gun, Killed fox and Groundhogs already. I got a mix of ammo with it Core Lokt, Winchester Power Points and Fed Fusion. Its sighted in with the 80gr core lokt and shoots 1 inch group at 100, 1/2 inch high now. My question is what kind of accuracy can I expect out of this gun. My concern is that its a light weight short barrel. It measure 19.25 from muzzle to receiver.
I plan on using it more for deer but also want it to be as accurate for longer ranges. I d like to stretch this one out and see what it will do but Im limited in funds. Unfortunely. But its something to start with anyway. Eventually Id like to hand load and get a Real nice scope but for now the Ole redfield 5 Star is staying true. Considered selling my Bull Barell AR to get funds but I decided not too. Thanks for the help guys.

Your 1 moa should tranfer out as far as you want to go providing optics and shooter are up to the task.

Reloading for it in my experience will make it more accurate.

bolski,
If you're getting MOA with factory ammo now, you will probably get better with handloads. Should be able to keep that accuracy to at least 400yds, maybe 500. I feel that the 19.25" barrel will be a detriment when trying to go long range with the .243. You will loose velocity with that short barrel and your bullets trajectory will suffer, IMO.
The ammo you listed is for general hunting and should be able to carry you easily to 400yds for deer. With their low BC's, they are not designed for LR hunting. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.