coyote_runner

the 243 is the ideal long range gun. it is heavy enough that the wind won't move, yet it is fast enough that you are not sacrificing knock down power. does anyone disagree with me?

I don't know what bullet you are shooting out of your 243 that the wind won't move it. The wind was keeping me off a 21" wide steel plate at 710 last weekend. And that was shooting a 115 grain X bullet at 3400fps. The boys with the big toys wasn't having as much problem, but their bullets weighed 200-300 grains and was going nearly as fast. But it was still a lot of fun to dig some holes in the ground!
grin.gif

I have a 243 "Gumby" that I shoot fairly regular. I use the 107 Sierra or the 105 Ballistic Tip. It works well to considerable distances, I've had some "bang-flop" deer kills with it at over 400 yards (furthest I've shot deer with it). I'd use it on groundhogs but someone killed them all in the places I shoot
wink.gif

I shoot my 243 mostly for coyotes it is an exellent varmint gun. I shoot 90 grain nosler ballistic tip. using hodgden powder. it is fairly fast.

I've got three 243 and I do not consider them an ideal long range rifle. I started back in 1965 with a 243 and that rifle is on it's 5 barrel. I kind of consider them just varmit rifles now. Just my .02 worth

Actually I totally agree with coyote runner the 243 is a great gun for many reasons not only is it a long range rifle but it is ideal for a whitetail hunter and a varmint hunter.
wink.gif

The .243 is effected by wind, the .338 is effected by wind.Some friends and I were trying to zero some rifles in the edge of Wyoming in a 15-20 mph wind. Tried some .338
200gr BT and they went in a 12" group at 545yds, tried some 250 SGK and they went in a
6" group, tried some 300 SMK and they went into a 3" group. Yes the little .243 will be tested by wind! I shoot a 6/06 AI and have killed dozens of southern white tail deer with it. The effective range of my loads would not exceed 450 yds. on a good day(killing big game).

I have a browning low wall .243 that i use for just about everything ive hunted(I recently got a 7mm wsm so the .243 is retired) I think it is a good long range cartridge for smaller animals like coyotes or smaller. Ive killed groundhogs, coyotes whitetails and one bull elk with it. I wouldnt try to shoot another elk with it and probally wont shoot whitetails over 300 yards, but it is an excellent gun for long range varminting

I love my ruger M77 MkII 243 for everything from praire dogs at 700 yards to deer at 150. the 243 is a great varmint gun because it can buck wind far better than a .223 or a 22-250 but for deer it's energy limits are very evident beyond 200 yards. so if it is understood i think it is a perfect gun for varmint and or deer hunting. It has worked great for me

[ 04-04-2004: Message edited by: varminthunter-243win ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.