243 or 6mm rem

bstomper

During my recent hunt I surprisingly found out that my 12 year old daughter wanted to go with me. I was extremely surprised and happy. I have taken her shooting before with the 22 and she is a very good shot and likes it. When she asked to come with me on my mule deer hunt last week I was concerned of what she was going to think when I shot the deer, let alone during the field dressing. It didn't bother her one bit and she helped out by holding the legs while I field dressed it. She wants to shoot her own deer next year. This info couldn't have come at a better time and we just signed her up yesterday for the junior rifleman course in our area. I have always wanted a smaller gun like a 243 and now I have found a good reason to get one. My budget is around the $500 mark. Around here (Canada) an entry level gun like the savage axis 243 is going for $400-$500 depending on the store. A buddy of mine had just recently inharated a Rugger M77 in 6mm remington in beautiful shape and being he has too many guns already, he is selling it and asking $450 for it. I know very little about the M77 or the 6mm rem except that the 6mm rem was remingtons version of the 243 win. According to my research the ballistics of the two are very similar. I know Rugger makes a decent rifle but would the used Ruger be a better choice than the new savage axis. As far as ammunition availability goes, i'm not worried about that because I will be relaoding. Any help would be appreciated.

The 6mm will out do the 243 by a little and is a good cartridge based on the 7 Mauser case. The rugers are well built but sometimes require bedding to shoot well. Since you are loading, the ammo would not be the problem it could be otherwise. You might also consider the Ruger American if you wanted to stick with a new 243. I hear that they shoot very well....rich

My first rifle was the tang safety M77 in 6mm Rem. I had it bedded but it didn't shoot well till I tried the discontinued 100 gr sierra semi round nose, I believe it had to do with a long jump to the rifling. (7 x 57 tangers were even worse) I believe the solution I would go for today would be to shoot the 95 Berger classic hunter as that duel ogive is very seating depth friendly.

I would get the Savage.
More common cartridge, ammo availability in a pinch, easier resale as well.
If she wanted to change calibers later on, it would just be a barrel swap you could do yourself.
More aftermarket components available as well.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Ruger m77, I bought my wife one in 204. 6mm isn't that uncommon, there's lots of them around. If u like rifle it's a step up from the savage. If ur wanting a new rifle I agree with elkaholic, consider the Ruger American, I've heard nothing but good about them

I would get the Savage.
More common cartridge, ammo availability in a pinch, easier resale as well.
If she wanted to change calibers later on, it would just be a barrel swap you could do yourself.
More aftermarket components available as well.

Every Walmart and even Ma & Pa general stores with a gun counter are likely to have .243 Win on the shelf. Not so with the 6 mm Rem. That reason alone would steer me toward the .243.

Good luck

Jerry

anything a .243 will do, the 6mm will do better. In a hunting rifle, barrel life is not a real concern (unless your hunting varmints), but the 6mm will have almost twice the life due to case design alone. The 6mm handles long heavy bullets far better than the .243 due too it's .35" neck length alone. Long bullets in a .243 usually end up being seated well into the shoulder area.

I've owned two Ruger 77's in 6mm, and this can be good and also not so good. I found the two chambers to be cut nearly identical, but throats were a little deep on both rifles. Not a big thing unless your wanting to use an 80 grain bullet for coyotes. I had a heavy 77V and a standard barrel rifles. The 77V shot very low fours and high threes all the time. The other was a mid sixes rifle.

Cases are harder to come by with the 6mm, but how many do you really need for a hunting rifle? I've been around quite a few .243's, and always found throat and case life to be better with the big six. It's a very easy case to reload, but on the down side can be finicky about powder. Seem to like being seated long, if not almost touching the lands. Just get your hands on a can of H414, and start from there.
gary

It's been hit miss on those early Rugers. I would get the Savage and it's less weight vs Ruger maybe better rifle for her.

It's been hit miss on those early Rugers. I would get the Savage and it's less weight vs Ruger maybe better rifle for her.
The two Rugers I had were problems from the get go, one had to be completely rebuilt. The other had serious bedding problems with the angle screw. Both rifles had the scallops cut out of parallel with the barrel bore, so the scope was near impossible to zero in. Triggers were a nightmare. Buy a Savage and be done with it. They make good after market barrels in whatever your after. Myself, I'd get a .250 Savage.
gary

Go with the Savage or Ruger American both are made in compact models so the LOP would be better for a 12 year old. Them older Rugers could be quite heavy for a young person. The difference in velocity between the 6mm and the 243 isn't enough to be concerned with especially if you're going to reload.

I like the 6mm. Supplies are the only concern. If you can get ammo where you're at good, but check online brass etc. I'd say if you can feed it get it.

.243 For all the reasons posted above. Its very common. Most stores. that sell hunting amo have 243 on the shelf. Not to mention as she gets older you can change the barrel out to a .308 win for more power. I have a.243 Ruger american. Nice little gun for the price. I payed about 425 for it at a local gun store. I have seen them for as low as 340.

The ruger american or savage axis would be a good gun for a younger shooter. as posted above both would be easy to change the barrels out on.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.