243 for the wife ?

BrentM

She loves shooting the 204 but we can only really get out to 700 with repeatable accuracy. She is not really fond of my 6.5-284, bit too much kick. So I was thinking something along the lines of a 243 might be about right to shoot 1000 or so.

I can get a 26" shilen barrel from Midway for $319 and set up my extra short action pretty easily so I was wondering what the thoughts are regarding this caliber and cartridge choice for a small woman and long range shooting? I have not checked to see if bullets are available yet.

Caliber of choice for some 1000 yard tactical shooters.
Pretty easy to get a 105 or better yet 115 VLD to that range.
I have shot mine to 800 with ease, just haven't had a chance to get to 1k.
Great caliber, and very mild recoil.

Thanks for the feed back. I am pretty set on doing something for her and playing with a different caliber too. I am sure I would enjoy it as well. Any clue of barrel life of a 243?

I guess that is a mixed question and there are many opinions.
I have only shot about 700 rds thru my build.
My dad has a pre 64 that he bought in the early 70's and has shot it a lot !
It still shoots 1/2" groups.

I hear ya. I put about 4000 rounds through the rifles last year tuning myself up for LR shooting. I won't do that much now so anything around 1500 or better is fine. My old 6.5-284 is on 1700 and with a worn out throat and still doing fine at .5 to .75 MOA depending on the shooters day. If we get 200-300 per year on the 243 once a solid load is developed I would be surprised. Any more it is about quality not necessarily quantity to gets me to giggle.

I got my wife a tikka T3 light in the 243 and its ok but it still had a little bit of recoil for her first gun. I been able to get her shooting a 18 gong at 600yrds so she was pretty happy and the recoil issue soon melted away with a big smile. it was also a big confidence booster.

I got my wife a tikka T3 light in the 243 and its ok but it still had a little bit of recoil for her first gun. I been able to get her shooting a 18 gong at 600yrds so she was pretty happy and the recoil issue soon melted away with a big smile. it was also a big confidence booster.

If you have not already done this, put a limb saver butt pad on it and she will be double happy. Before I ever fired my Tikka T3 SS light in 338WM I installed the limb saver and never needed a brake. Just don't rest it on the butt pad, it will compress it, guess that is the secret of the limb saver or mine is just defective.
Good luck. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.