Rifle for the wife

Monkster101

Hi everyone, I'm going to purchase a rifle for my wife she has some neck issues. She has recently feel in love with deer hunting. We live in Louisiana so I was thinking of a .243 but we are open to any advice, thanks!

I'm a pretty big guy and I love, love the 243...makes it real easy to hit what you see and see what you hit! Get her one and never look back. Plus, ammo is everywhere.

I have a grendel and 243. The 243 capabilities and point blank range really shine. The grendel doesn't really make sense to me outside of a ar15 platform, unless the 243 recoil would still be too much for her with her neck issue.
I think a nice Tikka T3x, win mod 70, howa, sako, browning etc. in 243 with good glass is an excellent choice for a female hunter, or any hunter in general

I have had extremely impressive results using 95gr hornady SST on game out of my Browning abolt2.

Hi everyone, I'm going to purchase a rifle for my wife she has some neck issues. She has recently feel in love with deer hunting. We live in Louisiana so I was thinking of a .243 but we are open to any advice, thanks!

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy! As others noted, the .243 is an excellent choice. I understand your wife's desire for deer hunting despite her neck issues, but does she have any medical restrictions because of it. The reason I asked is because, a friend of a friend had a similar issue. The recoil felt on the shoulder is transmitted to his neck when using rifle but not when using an XP pistol, I do not remember the chambering though but IIRC, it was 7MM-08. Just something to think about and consider, don't want to further aggravate her condition any further and unnecessarily. Good luck!

ADDED:

Not the XP but just video of something similar to get a general idea ...

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor is perfect for anyone, long range, deadly acurate, almost no recoil, and it will easily take deer, and less noise and recoil than a .243, although
A .243 is a great size too.

Also, any of the sizes mentioned would have almost no recoil in semi automatic versions, the semi autos
Have gotten pretty accurate, and make good hunting rifles ( use the legal magazine for hunting in your state, they come with large ones usually that may not be legal).

6.5 Creedmoor is perfect for anyone, long range, deadly acurate, almost no recoil, and it will easily take deer, and less noise and recoil than a .243, although
A .243 is a great size too.

why do you say a 243 will have more noise? they have pretty much the same case capacity. with equal length barrels I do not think one or the other would have more or less noise

and recoil would certainly be less on a .243, I'm confused as to why you think a 6.5 creed shooting 140 class bullets for hunting would recoil more than a .243 shooting 90-100gr bullets. The .243 in a equal weight rifle, will recoil less.

6.5 creedmoor is not inherently accurate because of the cartridge, rifles are accurate due to quality of components. The creedmoor chamberings do not possess some magical "X" factor making them better than any other offering.

My .243 is louder, and recoil is heavier than my creedmoor, and I didn't say it was more accurate anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.