Rifle for the wife

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Monkster101, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Monkster101

Monkster101 Member

Hi everyone, I'm going to purchase a rifle for my wife she has some neck issues. She has recently feel in love with deer hunting. We live in Louisiana so I was thinking of a .243 but we are open to any advice, thanks!

xsn10s likes this.
  2. wbm

wbm Well-Known Member

243 is a good choice.

mtnman5280, xsn10s and Monkster101 like this.
  3. TC338

TC338 Well-Known Member

I’d recommend a 6.5 Grendel. Next to no recoil and plenty of power to kill a deer within 300 yards. Howa and CZ both offer bolt guns and I think ruger offers their American predator in it as well.

4. Monkster101

Monkster101 Member

Thanks

5. Monkster101

Monkster101 Member

Thanks

6. Combatpreacher

Combatpreacher Active Member

I'm a pretty big guy and I love, love the 243...makes it real easy to hit what you see and see what you hit! Get her one and never look back. Plus, ammo is everywhere.

Monkster101 likes this.
  7. Lee D

Lee D Well-Known Member

I have a grendel and 243. The 243 capabilities and point blank range really shine. The grendel doesn't really make sense to me outside of a ar15 platform, unless the 243 recoil would still be too much for her with her neck issue.
    I think a nice Tikka T3x, win mod 70, howa, sako, browning etc. in 243 with good glass is an excellent choice for a female hunter, or any hunter in general

I have had extremely impressive results using 95gr hornady SST on game out of my Browning abolt2.

Monkster101 likes this.
  8. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Monkster101 likes this.
  9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

A belated welcome to LRH and enjoy! As others noted, the .243 is an excellent choice. I understand your wife's desire for deer hunting despite her neck issues, but does she have any medical restrictions because of it. The reason I asked is because, a friend of a friend had a similar issue. The recoil felt on the shoulder is transmitted to his neck when using rifle but not when using an XP pistol, I do not remember the chambering though but IIRC, it was 7MM-08. Just something to think about and consider, don't want to further aggravate her condition any further and unnecessarily. Good luck!

ADDED:

Not the XP but just video of something similar to get a general idea ...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    xsn10s and Monkster101 like this.
  10. 6.5 Creedmoor is perfect for anyone, long range, deadly acurate, almost no recoil, and it will easily take deer, and less noise and recoil than a .243, although
    A .243 is a great size too.

Monkster101 likes this.
  11. Also, any of the sizes mentioned would have almost no recoil in semi automatic versions, the semi autos
    Have gotten pretty accurate, and make good hunting rifles ( use the legal magazine for hunting in your state, they come with large ones usually that may not be legal).

Monkster101 likes this.
  12. Lee D

Lee D Well-Known Member

why do you say a 243 will have more noise? they have pretty much the same case capacity. with equal length barrels I do not think one or the other would have more or less noise

and recoil would certainly be less on a .243, I'm confused as to why you think a 6.5 creed shooting 140 class bullets for hunting would recoil more than a .243 shooting 90-100gr bullets. The .243 in a equal weight rifle, will recoil less.

6.5 creedmoor is not inherently accurate because of the cartridge, rifles are accurate due to quality of components. The creedmoor chamberings do not possess some magical "X" factor making them better than any other offering.

13. I just go by my rifles, and what they do. I don't pretend to be a ballistic scholar.

Monkster101 likes this.
  14. My .243 is louder, and recoil is heavier than my creedmoor, and I didn't say it was more accurate anyway.

Monkster101 likes this.