rifle for wife

Factory ammo I would go 25-06 or 270. Reloading I would go with a 6.5 Sherman I've heard nothing but good things about the cartridge.

Reuben

I would get a 25-06 rem or 270 with a nice recoil pad and a scope with eye relief to spare
The .25-06 doesn't kick at all, even with 110,115, & 117gr bullets. My .25-06 AI is an absolute dream to shoot. And is a nice change of pace from all of my big magnums. Which is why I have been focusing on gearing towards building more rifles on standard LA platforms lately.

The .25-06 doesn't kick at all, even with 110,115, & 117gr bullets. My .25-06 AI is an absolute dream to shoot. And is a nice change of pace from all of my big magnums. Which is why I have been focusing on gearing towards building more rifles on standard LA platforms lately.

Well... my Sendero 25-06 pushing 115 CT's @ 3400 had a good little kick to it. Not too bad, but it definitely had a kick. That said, the factory loads going 2700 did not kick.

For the OP, my vote is for a 7-08. Not much difference in kick between the 7-08 and a 25-06, depending on the load. The 7-08 shoots large bullets (a good thing) but with less powder.

Also, the Tikka being light weight will kick more than a standard weight rifle. I think a Vanguard is a better rifle.

Well... my Sendero 25-06 pushing 115 CT's @ 3400 had a good little kick to it. Not too bad, but it definitely had a kick. That said, the factory loads going 2700 did not kick.

For the OP, my vote is for a 7-08. Not much difference in kick between the 7-08 and a 25-06, depending on the load. The 7-08 shoots large bullets (a good thing) but with less powder.

Also, the Tikka being light weight will kick more than a standard weight rifle. I think a Vanguard is a better rifle.
Yeah, my fire-forming loads use Hornady 117 Interlocks over 48gr of Reloder 19. Virtually no recoil, and I use a vintage BDL stock that has the plastic buttplate, so there's no recoil reduction with that rifle. LOL

However, when I run my 115 Bergers on up there to 3,400+ when I was ladder testing for the .25-06 AI, you can definitely feel some recoil once you load them on up there.

But, you don't have to load them that hot, and the regular .25-06 will kick less than my .25-06 AI does. All Ackleys seem to have a little more felt recoil because of the sharper shoulder and the blown-out wall taper.

7mm-08 is a great round! I've had one since I was 10. Still have that same rifle, too. It was my first bolt-action deer rifle. Before that I always used dad's old Marlin 30-30.

My wife shoots a Tikka T3 in 7 Mag and loves it. I put a Sims recoil pad on it and she doesn't want to put it down once she starts shooting.

If she can consistently put it where it belongs the caliber choices are endless.

If you want to go with something relatively new and cool the .260 rem is a great choice.

If you want to go with tried and true and a little more gas build a .264wm on the Winnie action going with a 26-28" barrel in a number three or four contour.

Put a Snowy Mountain Rifles Muzzle brake on either and something like the Precision Stock Works Stock with a good piece of glass on top and she'll love you forever and be very proud of her rifle every time she looks or thinks of it.

The 6.5's really rule the world when it comes to everything up to and including Elk and Moose. The 6.5x55 is still a huge favorite in Europe and has taken just about every species of critter in North America, Europe, and Africa absent the most dangerous and heaviest bodied animals such as cape buff and Grizzlies in huge numbers.

It's probably taken as much if not more medium and large game than even the venerable 30-06.

We have of course so many options in the 6.5's it can get pretty dizzying but here in N. America the .260 Rem and .264wm are the way I'd go, heck I have gone that way six times now LOL.

As someone else mentioned felt recoil goes up quite a bit as the weight of the rifle goes down and I'd venture to say it has more to do with shooter comfort/recoil sensitivity than even the chosen caliber.

The Snowy Mountain Rifles Muzzle brake though will tame the beast quite well while still being very easy on the shooter with respect to blast and noise.

You wouldn't be here asking if you didn't think she is pretty special so make sure you make this gift something special for her.

The 6.5 creedmoor for a short action or the 280AI for a long, either paired with a good break and heavy for calibers bullets will be hard to beat! If you don't like breaks then, run the 130 Berger hunting hybrid in the 6.5CM and the 168's at 2850 in the 280 AI. The 280AI is more versatile in bullet selection, but I wouldn't feel handicapped chasing critters with either.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

RIFLE FOR WIFE

Hey I got a lot of rifles for sale what are you looking for? But first I want to see pictures of your wife. May be we can make a trade.

HA HA I think a 260 would be as good as any.
Have a great day.

Everything mentioned would be a fine choice although I personally would go bigger than .25 if elk were on the menu and I had a choice.

I have two rifles that I have been considering listing for sale that would be great choices for a female shooter. Recoil is very tame and a brake would make it a non issue all together. Keep an eye out in the classifieds or send me a PM.

One is a 7x57AI. 700 action, Shilen 9" twist 24", McMillan stock, timney trigger, Burris rings, 20moa base, Zeiss conquest 4.5-14 w/z-1000. Less than 150 rounds.
I've done very little load work, but everything through it is sub moa.
Shoots Nosler ALR 150s (I found some and had to try them), 162 Amax and 168 bergers all at impressive speeds w/ RE17 and I haven't pushed anything yet to find top end. Dies, brass(Norma) and maybe the remaining Long Range Accubonds would go with it.

The other is a factory 700 mountain rifle in 260 rem w/ dbm. Full accuracy package by Montour County Rifles. I haven't shot it since the accuracy work was done (3years ago), but it shot moa prior with both factory ammo and my quickie Nosler Partition loads. 60 rounds fired. Pretty gun, walnut stock.

I just don't have time to play with everything, and when I do have range time I spend most of it behind my other 260 or STW. I do love the 6.5s

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts