240 weatherby

Sheephuntr

Live in a small town south of Boise Idaho called M
Here's the deal, just got me a 240 in a weatherby vanguard, tried the 90gr eldx with H4831 an thought I had a load coming along nicely till I stepped back to 300 yards. Opened up to almost 5 inches. I'm out of the eldx now an was planning on using this for rockchucks at a bit longer range or 300 plus. I got 100 75gr vmax sitting here in front of me an wondering if they would possibly do what I'm liking for. If you think they would could I possibly get some starting data from some of you fine gents for this combo? I got IMR 4350, H4831, IMR 7828, some magpro, IMR 4831, Varget, an H380. I can possibly go pick up some more supplies if need be. I'm just curious as to what this combo could do.

Before you try other components be sure the rifle is sound.

If rifle is new to you go through this checklist before you go any further. This is a list I created I keep in my documents so I won't forget any of the many details:

Often I encounter the obvious, the action screws are loose.

Action screws should be torqued to an inch pound value.

Check front action screw hole for bedding material or bottoming out

Leupold windage style rear base windage screws not tight

Front scope ring base screw touching threads of barrel.

Imperfection in crown

Screw holes in wood stock too small, drill larger so sides of action screw won't touch

Bolt handle touching stock

Mag box must not bind

Recoil lug making contact in bottom of bedded slot causing the action to sit off bedding

Front of trigger group must not touch stock

Trigger guard must not touch trigger

Uneven bedding--- tightening one action screw to see if the action pulls up at other end.

Barrel should not make contact with barrel channel. Due to some flexing some rifles required additional material be removed from stock. ( I encountered this three times with rifles bedded with McMillan stocks when using a bipod. Issue didn't show at 100 but it did at 500 M. Solution was to remove more material from barrel channel.)

I hope this helps

I shoot the 95 grain Ballistic Tips in my 240.
This bullet opens well but won't blow apart on medium game. I have used it to kill quite a few whitetails, also a few foxes. RL 22 gives me great accuracy, but H4831sc works as well.
I've used those 75 Vmaxs on ground hogs and foxes out to a few hundred yards, they are quite destructive and very accurate. Been using the 240 for close to 20 years, I like it.
Gary

I have a Vanguard S2 240 Bee. 24" 1-10 twist barrel. I m at 3000 ft elevation and mine stabilizes a 105 AMax. With 53.5 grs of R26 ( work up it's a stiff load) I get 3250 fps.

Run the ballistics on this combo and it WILL surprise you!!

Surpasses my 257 Bee with 115 BT s around 700 yds in fpe! With 16 grains less powder and much milder recoil.

BTW, I ve shot some rockchucks with an 87 gr VMax at 3450 fps and it's dramatic if you know what I mean!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.