230gr A-Tips on Game

Why? It's a target bullet
It'll kill stuff if you hit it perfectly, if you don't then expect target bullet results

that doesn't give me the info I'm after.

most Berger's and ELDs are match bullets also but 10's of thousands of deer and game have been harvested with them.
Arguably frangible bullets are more effective then hunting designated rounds but yer, in after first hand info.

there is a good write up over on longrange only about them. the pictures on there showed some pretty explosives results. they also found that they liked to jump a long ways .100-.120 off lands

I know of one person, a friend of mine, that used one in a ?30 nosler or 300 PRC, don't recall exactly, to shoot an elk, and he reported it worked well. However I wasn't there, can't compare it to anything I have seen. Just saw a picture of a dead bull from 600 and change distance, and a good friend that said it worked. I have personally tested bullets, and I prefer a minimum of 10 animals taken under my watchfull eyes with solid results before I begin to label a bullet. A sample of 1-5 means very little in my opinion. I personally haven't seen enough to try the A-tips on game.

From a 300 Norma, my firs though is either the 230 or 245 Berger.

I know of one person, a friend of mine, that used one in a ?30 nosler or 300 PRC, don't recall exactly, to shoot an elk, and he reported it worked well. However I wasn't there, can't compare it to anything I have seen. Just saw a picture of a dead bull from 600 and change distance, and a good friend that said it worked. I have personally tested bullets, and I prefer a minimum of 10 animals taken under my watchfull eyes with solid results before I begin to label a bullet. A sample of 1-5 means very little in my opinion. I personally haven't seen enough to try the A-tips on game.

From a 300 Norma, my firs though is either the 230 or 245 Berger.

gun arrives this week I'll be loading up the 230 Berger's for it aswell, however the a tip has a significant BC advantage over the Berger's.
Want to stick to 230 weight class to keep the velocity at over 3000

I have no first hand info. But I have talked to a few guys that have taken game with them. Seems to work good around the 2950-3050fps at the 3200fps they leave big hole ... but like I said that all info I got from other people
Come on man, you gotta do better than that! Muzzle velocity or impact velocities? Not being a smarty pants but muzzle velocity has nothing to do with how a bullets performs on game...unless they are at or near the muzzle when you shoot them.:oops: If those are the muzzle velocities and you know the ranges then the impact velocities can be figured (approximately). Were the animals deer, elk,..? Where were the impacts (shoulder, broadside ribs,...)? Just curious as I've had my eye on them too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.