Tips on Accurizing a Sako 85 Finnlight

MontanaRifleman

I've been doing some load development with my new Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM topped with an NSX 5 1/2x22 x50. I 've worked on a couple loads for 180 ETips and 168 TTSXs using H4350, Norma brass, GM215M primers. The brass was trimmed down to 2.085 (2.10 max). I'm necksizing only with a floating bushing using a Redding die and Redding competion bullet seater. My groups are running about 1.5" at max and near max loads. I'm going to try stepping down a couple of half gr increments and some different seating depths. These bullets are more than .10 off the lands due to magazine length.

I wonder if it's the rifle or the load or both? I have been very meticulous about the loading procedures and they *should* be better than average loads.

I was wondering if there is anything I could do to accurize the rifle? Pillar Bedding? Pressure points? etc. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

I think I found the sweet spot :) I tried 3 shot groups with 65, 65.5 and 66 gr of H4350 with the Eipts today at 2 different seating depths. The 65 gr group was 3.3", the 65.5 gr group was 1.9" and the 66 gr (max) was .545" :) This should get me throuhg antelope opening weekend and then time for some more fine tuning :)

Mark,

I have been using a SAKO 85 finnlight for three seasons and I am NOT thrilled with its accuracy. Similar to you I find it exceedingly picky with loads. I finally found that 65gr GameKings on 55gr Varget, Federal M210s work pretty well with three shot groups in the .5 - .625" range. I have never got a decent 5 shot group.

I absolutely love the rifle for mountain hunting where lots of climbing and boot tread occurs. I wish I could get a good load like your E-tips working and I will try again with your suggestions. However, I have spent a fair amount of money in wasted rounds trying to get this thing to shoot.

Do you think there is too much play in the bedding? The recoil lug socket is .335" and the recoil lug itself is .314", so about .020". I wonder if the action is moving? I am going to "bed" this with JB-Weld and see what happens.

My trusty custom Mauser (30-06A) has gone 200-14X at the 500 yard line on the MR-X target plenty of times, so I know a hunting rifle can perform at medium range. I sure wish this one could. I'd be embarrassed to take this thing to a prone practice.

Todd.

Have you tried Federal Trophy Copper? (not bonded!) I had instant success and confidence with my Sako 85 Finnlight Stainless Stalker .300 win mag at 180g...pretty good pairing for a factory "off the shelf" round

I've loaded for three different 85's in 300 wsm and they all shot under Mao with rl 19 180 tsx or 175 lrx and fed 215's. All brass was Winchester and I only used standard Rcbs dies.
Might be worth a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.