Deciding on a new big game rifle...

I edited and added a PS: to my last post. I use hand loads with H-1000 and a 215 Berger this year. In the years past I used H-1000 and the 210 Berger.

Jeff

Jeff,

Just a thought, but if you have time it may be beneficial for the OP for you to explain why you like the 300 Win Mag so well. I know there is a lot of negative talk about the belted cases and headspace, etc. You as well as anyone could help him and others interested understand the + and - of that cartridge.

Scot E.

Thanks for the note Scot, I will definitely plan on practicing doing that. I have a feeling the more I practice and the more I spend on this site, the more that 500 yard number will grow!

So one more question on this subject: if I am going to be reloading rounds anyway, is there really a downfall to getting a RUM other than the extra cost of the brass? I mean if all else is the same, wouldn't it make more sense to just go that route and get a flatter shooting round with more speed?

So one more question on this subject: if I am going to be reloading rounds anyway, is there really a downfall to getting a RUM other than the extra cost of the brass? I mean if all else is the same, wouldn't it make more sense to just go that route and get a flatter shooting round with more speed?

The downsides are these: You already know the upsides!

* Cost of reloading components, brass and you will burn a lot more powder.
* Cost of replacement barrel which will be much sooner
* recoil- can you handle it. Despite what you read here most guys don't like the recoil of the RUM's. Look at how many big magnums there are for sale here. Why aren't there very many smaller calibers? It's because most guys keep those and shoot them!
* recoil- can you shoot it as accurately? Most guys don't. So you need a heavier gun or you shoot worse groups than you could. And heavier guns don't make good carry guns if that is an issue for you.
*Consistent Loads- Chasing the lands as they move due to excessive wear is not fun, at least for me. I know a lot of competition guys are used to it but it drives me nuts. I like finding a load and then being able to shoot the snot of it. If you plan on shooting VLD's, well they are seating depth picky already. Then add to that moving lands and you don't have the greatest of platforms.

Again, don't let me talk you out of getting what you want. I just want you to know what you are going to be dealing with.

Good Luck

Scot E.

Like most all have said, any of em are good choices...so you are splitting hairs a bit. I guess you may need to provide a little more info for a better answer. Are you looking for a 7-8 lb rifle that you shoot 100s of rounds a year? If so, the 300 mag may be a better fit. Will it be a bone-stock gun or a re-barreled rem 700? If you don't mind a slightly heavier gun, hope to shoot the heavier for cal bullets, and are gonna practice but not shoot 100s of rounds a year the 300 RUM may be fine.

If its the latter, no offense to Scot but, I think some of his "cons" begin to shrink quite a bit. In other words, if its more of a hunting rifle and not bench rest/TONS of practice you aren't going to be replacing barrels or chasing lands anytime soon. Find a good load and keep it, do some practice and even the RUM will last many years. Same with loading components - no biggy either way if you aren't shooting it just a ton. Recoil: get a muzzle brake. The RUM won't be bad especially in a heavier 9-10 lb rifle. My 12 yr old daughter killed a deer and elk with my 300 Dakota last year without a brake just fine. It's about a 11-12# rifle though. I wouldn't wish 90+ grains of powder (RUM) on anyone in a 7# rifle for any length of time. If you want a light gun go for the 300 mag.

Not saying you should choose the RUM, just that a little more info would be good. If you shoot it 300+ rounds a year Scots "cons" should bare a little more weight. Also, if you are like me, you get it thinking 500 yds and within a few years that changes to 700-1000. For lighter bullets 180 and below I think you'd be much happier with the 300 mag - vs blowing an extra 15-20 grains of powder out the tube. Personally I compromised between the two 10+ years ago for a 300 Dakota. Have thought about re-barreling, but even then it would probably be one the improved Weatherby rounds or the Norma. Just seems to be a sweet spot efficiency-wise, but you NEVER find rounds in a store for them. Totally splitting hairs now. The elk isn't gonna know if the 180 or 220 grain pill came from a 308 or a 300 UM, especially at 500 yards. Good luck.

Aspenbugle, thanks for the note. After doing a lot of research, I actually did decide on the 300 RUM simply because of what you said, I will not be shooting 300 rounds a year. I want something that is extremely flat shooting that I don't have to worry so much about dialing turrets (although I'd like to get to that point someday). Because of the fact that I am planning on reloading rounds and not shooting a ton (just enough to know what distances I am comfortable with), that is why I settled on the RUM. It will probably be many many years until I am worried about the barrel going on me :)

Thanks again for all of the input guys, it really helped me to see all of the pros and cons. I know some of you probably still wouldn't have made the decision I did, but I am very happy with it. Can't wait for it to show up so I can start building up my new load! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.