230gr A-Tips on Game

Like I stated that was not my first hand info. It was info I gathered from another forum and people I have talked to.. that's why I said it's not my first hand info. It was elk and deer at 600+ I was told it was pretty explosive . When you push them that fast even at 600yards. Not my info just what was told to me.. but I do not agree with you saying muzzle velocity does not effect how a bullet works on game.

I do not agree with you saying muzzle velocity does not effect how a bullet works on game.
Impact velocity is what matters with on game performance. The only thing muzzle velocity implies to it is "you gotta have it to start with to have anything on target". The bullet won't speed up in flight, only slow down. So the only thing muzzle velocity has to do in bullet deformation and penetration is give you a number that means it will only be less than this. If a bullet is fired at 2800 fps and has a retained velocity of 2000 fps on impact at 800 yards and the same bullet fired at 3200 fps arriving on target at 1200 yards with the same velocity of 2000 fps, will they not have about the same terminal performance? How else are you thinking? Higher mv increases the stresses on a bullet by increasing rpm's in flight? Faster spin rate increases terminal performance?
Not attacking you brother, just trying to figure out the angle you are looking at this from.

That was my bad when you said muzzle velocity in my head I just went to velocity.. so yes I agree. But I still standing behind what I been told but people I trust . That I don't think would steer me wrong that the 230 A-tip are better ran around the 2950-3050 FPS area. for 100-1000yards , then 3200fps at the muzzle .. but what's better for me in a hunting bullet is not the same for others . I know guys that can careless if they loose half a deer or elk to bad shot placements as long as they killed something.. . I have not tested that out yet for my self and not sure if I will . so my angle is just passing on the info I was giving when I was thinking about what bullets to use in my 30 Sherman.

I think it would be near impossible to get that velocities with a 230 gr bullet in a 308 Norma.
He said 300 norma, not 308. Two totally different cartridges. 300 Norma is based off a .338 Norma which is based off a .338 Lapua, shortened and modified to work properly in a standard length long action using 300 grain high bc bullets.

Is there a Chance I could run these in a 300 Rum with a 1/10 twist ? I see it recomends a 1/9 . I see some on the shelf in a local shop. I have the time to load up some and Spring Bear here is in full swing .
Any thoughts you guys ??

Rum Man

Is there a Chance I could run these in a 300 Rum with a 1/10 twist ? I see it recomends a 1/9 . I see some on the shelf in a local shop. I have the time to load up some and Spring Bear here is in full swing .
Any thoughts you guys ??

Rum Man
It will be iffy. You could try. Pretty sure IF they stabalize the BC will be lower than published with that twist.

Go here an plug in the numbers. https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/4dof
Depending on speed, stability is like 1.23. 1.5 or higher is recommended.

I would site in at the range at 3500 ' and our bear hunting is 4000' plus to about 7000'
Possibly higher but not usually .

I have re33 , nv570 , h-1000 for powder on hand . Brass preped for this if it might work !
Thanks !

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.