225 Eldm and 230 atip for Hunting

Best friend shoots165 ELDM in his30-06. Kills very well. The further out the shot the better the bullet works. Close range it will expand rapidly.
What is he using them for? Is he hunting deer and antelope or larger game like elk? Just wondering if a match bullet would hold together in a larger animal to give adequate penetration.

I have use the 225 ELDm in a 300 PRC for a bull elk. Hit him on the point of the shoulder at 356 yards and dropped him without even a twitch. Close range I'd probably opt to stay off heavy bone, other than that, I wouldn't worry at all.

Ok here goes. Match bullets are NOT for hunting! Period. Stop it!!! Even the manufacturers say so. The rate of expansion is NOT guaranteed. This fad is NOT ETHICAL. The animals we hunt deserve it. Use bullets BUILT for hunting. NOT bullets BUILT for target shooting.

I have a great hand load in 300 win mag with the 225 eldm for accuracy and would like to know experiences with this or similar bullets on game, should I expect good terminal ballistics? I also have a batch of 230 atip, will this be similar in the damage & penetration department? Or do I back up and punt for a bullet for hunting that is bonded/copper/locked etc? I do want pass through on my shots incase I need to trail them (thick in my area or Texas if the run) but want max damage for a humane kill and best chance of bangflop. Looking forward to hunting season! Thanks
Most any bullet will work and kill behind the shoulders but on shoulder or bone ,not so much. That separates the men from boys.

Ok here goes. Match bullets are NOT for hunting! Period. Stop it!!! Even the manufacturers say so. The rate of expansion is NOT guaranteed. This fad is NOT ETHICAL. The animals we hunt deserve it. Use bullets BUILT for hunting. NOT bullets BUILT for target shooting.
Ethics are personal. Your ethics may or may not reflect. Doesn't mean one is right and onebis wrong. You are welcome to believe what you believe and that's great. You have. made a choice. That ok. Someone may prefer another choice. I can say I have seen more animals get away because of poor marksmanship than I can say got away because of the type of bullet used. I think it's more ethical to be able to make good shots vs the bullet type used.

Having hunted with A-tips in the 208g older version, I would not recommend them for close shots out of a 300WM.
Having used Berger OTM's,I would not recommend then in either 300 magnums or large 338 magnums either…just my experience using dozens and dozens of them, just can't be trusted to perform as they should.
Both the 30 cal 230g OTM and 338 300g OTM couldn't be relied upon to either expand every time or to expand too fast and break apart.

Cheers.
Ive had excellent luck with 300 otm better in then the 300 elite actually. I drill my tips tho

Ive had few hunting bullets fail. Berger 300 elite, berger 180 elite, 195 elites. Hammers..got a bent nose on a bear last year

Here's a little fuel for the fire. 😉 I'm not picking sides I think both sides have a good argument depending game and bullet pick for the conversation.
It's an older article, but... it gives one side of the conversation back when the target-hunting bullet was catching on, nowadays they have gotten better, but so has the traditional hunting bullet as well.

Cheers

Is it possible to edit the title to include the specific bullet you're talking about?

That may get you experience with that bullet instead of this thread flaming out into a mess

Is it possible to edit the title to include the specific bullet you're talking about?

That may get you experience with that bullet instead of this thread flaming out into a mess
Sorry I thought I did in my original post asking about the 225 eldm and 230 atip. Ill see if the title is editable.

Have you ever tried match bullets on game to add validity to your statement? I'm sure there are plenty of match bullets that will not expand, but there are plenty that will and work very effectively.

This^
Will they work? Probably... but it's a gamble. Are they designed for it? Not at all, they're made for putting holes in paper, they're not designed for RELIABLE expansion in tissue.

Recent Posts