208 or 225 ELDM

idcwby

Trying to decide between these two bullets. They will be shot out of a 18" 300RUM. That's why I'm wondering which would be better for shooting elk, deer, etc.?

I've killed a decent amount of elk and deer with the 208 from 100 yards out of a 300 Dakota to 700 yards. Shot even more with the 208 out of 300sherman shorts. I love the accuracy and terminal performance of the 208 from the A max model to the eld m.

That said the 225 eldm has been great for me also but have shot less game with it. I did kill an aoudad at 565 yards with it. Also my farthest animal taken was at 1103 yards (mule deer) with a 300ss and it passed through with plenty of damage. Deer didn't go more than 30 yards. The next day I upped myself and killed a nice bull elk at 1113 yards with same setup. Again with even more meat/bone/skin part of the bullet exited.

Either would be a great choice with that much powder under it even in the short barrel. I would personally go for the 225 with your setup.

I did some killing with the 225's this year with a MV of 2950fps. They performed great at 100, 130 and 200 yards and 2 deer and an elk.

The 208's would probably expand a little faster and not penetrate as deep. But may be a good option with a lower MV?

I've killed a decent amount of elk and deer with the 208 from 100 yards out of a 300 Dakota to 700 yards. Shot even more with the 208 out of 300sherman shorts. I love the accuracy and terminal performance of the 208 from the A max model to the eld m.

That said the 225 eldm has been great for me also but have shot less game with it. I did kill an aoudad at 565 yards with it. Also my farthest animal taken was at 1103 yards (mule deer) with a 300ss and it passed through with plenty of damage. Deer didn't go more than 30 yards. The next day I upped myself and killed a nice bull elk at 1113 yards with same setup. Again with even more meat/bone/skin part of the bullet exited.

Either would be a great choice with that much powder under it even in the short barrel. I would personally go for the 225 with your setup.
That's great info. So between the two of us we can confirm that 225's kill well from 100 to 1100 🤙🏼.

I haven't killed with the 208's personally yet, but they shoot great. I loaded them for a buddy at 3050FPS and he shot a buck behind the shoulder at 350 yards and said he was dead within seconds.

If elk was my intended target, I'd error on the side of the 225 just for more sectional density and possibly deeper wound channels. I think a 208 or 225 would kill a deer pretty equally though.

As @Huntnful said the speeds he is running them is in the area I like to be withIn. It seems like starting them off between 2700-3000 (max) is where they still work well up close if a shot presents itself and still penetrates. This is why I'd recommend the 225 in your case.

That's great info. So between the two of us we can confirm that 225's kill well from 100 to 1100 🤙🏼.

I haven't killed with the 208's personally yet, but they shoot great. I loaded them for a buddy at 3050FPS and he shot a buck behind the shoulder at 350 yards and said he was dead within seconds.

If elk was my intended target, I'd error on the side of the 225 just for more sectional density and possibly deeper wound channels. I think a 208 or 225 would kill a deer pretty equally though.

As @Huntnful said the speeds he is running them is in the area I like to be withIn. It seems like starting them off between 2700-3000 (max) is where they still work well up close if a shot presents itself and still penetrates. This is why I'd recommend the 225 in your case.
I had been leaning towards the 225s because of everything I have read about them. Just wasn't sure with my short barrel I would get the velocity needed, so I begin thinking the 208 might be better. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
I had been leaning towards the 225s because of everything I have read about them. Just wasn't sure with my short barrel I would get the velocity need, so I begin thinking the 208 might be better. Thanks for the input!
With either bullet, my crosshairs wouldn't be on the shoulder. The 208 in the ribcage of an Elk equals a dead Elk very quickly

I shoot both of those bullets and they both do very well. The 208 has been very easy to find a load for in everything from 300 BO to 300 PRC. I shoot the 225 in a RUM and a WM. They will both do a great job for you. I had a PRC that didn't like the 225 much but it shoots the 208 into tiny holes. Not sure of your twist rate, but the 225 is great for a RUM.

I shoot both of those bullets and they both do very well. The 208 has been very easy to find a load for in everything from 300 BO to 300 PRC. I shoot the 225 in a RUM and a WM. They will both do a great job for you. I had a PRC that didn't like the 225 much but it shoots the 208 into tiny holes. Not sure of your twist rate, but the 225 is great for a RUM.
Not that the 225 is too heavy for the PRC cause its not but the 208s plenty big enough for most any hooved game animals. The 225 is just extra insurance.

No experience with the 208. Killed a decent bull in a 300 PRC with the 225 in a 22 inch barrel @242 yards. High shoulder instant drop and no nothing. Watched my son do the same four days later @ 188 yds. using same set up. High shoulder on a medium size bull and again dropped in tracks and rolled a long way until hung up on a steep incline. Next day he killed a whitetail at 288. Instant dead. This was Hornady factory ammo.

It's got a 1-8 twist on it.