208 or 225 ELDM

If you're comfortable with VV powders and a little dirtier barrel and less barrel life, I'd go straight to N570. It'll give you the most speed for sure. I shot them with 91gr. out of a 300 NMI. So I'd imagine you'd be closer to 100gr.
This is a hunting rifle, not worried about barrel life and if I shoot it that much, I'll just get a new barrel. 😁

I went to an 18" barrel so with a can I'm at 26" OAL barrel length. It's a 1-8 twist cause I originally planned to run different bullets. I'm currently getting 2750fps with a 195gr Badlands SBII. I was able to go faster, but that is where the node for barrel was and I went with it this last season.

I apprieciate cans for certain types of hunting where stealth and multi animals are involved. I'm an electronic ear muff person. Because you can turn it up and here things that only your horse can. :) I'm big on muzzle brakes for not coming off the target and you can see what happened.

You are coved for powder. StaBall HD is good stuff.

I've shot the heaviest for caliber VLD bullets and ended up with quarter sized exit wounds and the animal ran off and luckily I've never lost one. Then I decided to drop 20 grains of pill weight and I was getting DRT and bang flopps.

Last edited:
In short barrel id run h1000 and 208 tho
I'll give these a shot and if I'm not getting velocity or performance that is needed, I'll switch to the 208s. I've never had luck with H1000, it always pressured out before I could get good velocity.

I remember seeing this thread yesterday, came back today to read more of it. Half was just to see what the deal was w the "18 inch 300 RUM". Knew it was 50/50 on whether it was canned versus typo (28" v 18" easy slip).

Sounds like a decently wild setup, but it also sounds like OP has a pretty good idea what hes doing, has thought thru the relevant details / issues... which is usually what it takes to make a setup like this run well. Im going to guess the OP will have pretty good (or better) success with this.

While this isnt a combo that fits my particular needs, i think it sounds pretty cool, i respect it, i like it when people push the boundaries some, run a setup thats a bit "out there" for a lot of people but "just right" for their needs.

The 1-8 twist is probably a safe move, if a particular bullet isnt performing how ya want, i dont think will have to wonder if it wasnt stabilised enough.

Anyways! Hope OP keeps us updated on how it works out :) id like to hear about velocities too

I apprieciate cans for certain types of hunting where stealth and multi animals are involved. I'm an electronic ear muff person. Because you can turn it up and here things that only your horse can. :) I'm big on muzzle brakes for not coming off the target and you can see what happened.

You are coved for powder. StaBall HD is good stuff.

I've shot the heaviest for caliber VLD bullets and ended up with quarter sized exit wounds and the animal ran off and luckily I've never lost one. Then I decided to drop 20 grains of pill weight and I was getting DRT and bang flopps.
I tried the muffs and it made it sound like there were a herd of elephants walking around. I've never been able to pick up more sounds with them. I like the cans because you don't have to remember to grab plugs.

I remember seeing this thread yesterday, came back today to read more of it. Half was just to see what the deal was w the "18 inch 300 RUM". Knew it was 50/50 on whether it was canned versus typo (28" v 18" easy slip).

Sounds like a decently wild setup, but it also sounds like OP has a pretty good idea what hes doing, has thought thru the relevant details / issues... which is usually what it takes to make a setup like this run well. Im going to guess the OP will have pretty good (or better) success with this.

While this isnt a combo that fits my particular needs, i think it sounds pretty cool, i respect it, i like it when people push the boundaries some, run a setup thats a bit "out there" for a lot of people but "just right" for their needs.

The 1-8 twist is probably a safe move, if a particular bullet isnt performing how ya want, i dont think will have to wonder if it wasnt stabilised enough.

Anyways! Hope OP keeps us updated on how it works out :) id like to hear about velocities too
The fastest velocity my LabRadar read when I was doing load work was 2878fps with the 195gr Badlands in the 18" barrel. So I am definitely curious to see how the 225s go.

I tried the muffs and it made it sound like there were a herd of elephants walking around. I've never been able to pick up more sounds with them. I like the cans because you don't have to remember to grab plugs.
They are adjustable! LOL I walk around with them on. I was hunting south of Twin in chest high sagebrush. I could hear rabbits and things take off without ever seeing them. But I heard something big get up and then stop. So I looked in the direction of the sound. I had kicked up Mr Buck and he was looking at me from maybe 80 yards. All I could see was upper neck and head that really blended into the sage. Really hard to see when motionless with your eyes. I pulled up my 270 and shot just below it's chin for the neck. It just dissappeared. I walked to where I thought I had seen it and there it was . It had actually been looking back at me with it's head turned around. Big red spray on the sage and light snow out in front of it. Almost took its head off.

I credit the sound enhancement eletronic hearing protectors for that deer