.223 whats my velocity

james blond

Im running a Remmy XCR Tactical Long Range and have a 26" barrel

I use a Nightforce 8-32 NXS

My round is Nosler 50 Grain with the orange ballistic tip

Powder is Benchmark @ 25.5 Grains Or N133 @ 25.5 Grains

This combo' burns perfectly and no stress signs.

It groups a key hole @ 200 yards.

Has anyone else used this same combo and chrono'd it??? id like to know the velocity then i can print off a ballistic table....

Cheers

James (U.K)

QuickLoad says the Benchmark is giving you 3479 f/s with pressures at 61,415 psi. SAMMI spec is 55,000 psi.
25.5 N133 is 3523 f/s at 64,625 psi.
Both loads are hotter than I'd feel comfortable with. Though if I had a 5.56mm chamber I'd be happier since the pressure limit for that is 62,366 psi but the cases also are thicker...

I hear what your saying but both powders aren't showing signs of stress or sticking in the chamber-

the benchmark / nosler combo is the nuts and grouping like it was 50 yards- i reckon the barrel being the length it is can take it no sweat-

I will drop the load a touch and see how it fairs grouping though- i don't want to burn the barrel out ....

Cheers

James

james,
According to Nosler #6; 50gn Ballistic Tip

with VihtN133, max load is 25.0gn of powder, velocity is 3412fps.

with Benchmark, max load is 26.5gn and velocity is 3540fps.

Both loads used Rem 7.5 primers and the Lilja barrel was 24". I feel like you are well within the tolerance/pressure range of cartridge and rifle. If I wasn't seeing any pressure signs then I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be looking some varmints! JohnnyK.

Thats perfect Johnny- exactly the info i was after- thanks a mill'. Im also using remmy primers so thats good-

Was that info avail' on the net???

I will use that to print me a ballistic table-

Cheers

James

Thats great- thanks so much- like you said its a good staring point-

Thanks for taking the time to reply -

Can't wait to get in the field with the bag and targets gun)

Cheers

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.