222 remington

[ QUOTE ]
Roy, do you want to sale that 722 222. I shot the heads off match sticks at 100yds with that thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, I don't know if I want to sell it or not. Its not accurate enough to shoot match heads at any distance but good enough for yotes at most distances.

I've been thinking of a specialty handgun lately which would replace a need for a short range carry gun. Who knows? It's kind of ugly at the moment, for TX anyway.

332In-Snow-Patch-sticks-med.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My 40X Remington chambered for 222 Remington Mag shoots the 40 grain V Max very accurately. Not bad for a factory rifle. I killed tons of squirrels and Jacks with it. I lost count as to how many rounds went through the barrel but it is still holding it's accuracy.

[image]http://
IMGP2357.jpg
[/image]

[image]http://
IMGP0505.jpg
[/image]

That thing is to pretty for me. Is that the woodstock or synthetic. Mine look like they have been drug down a gravel road behind a pickup, but they shoot.

Did you get that rifle new or second hand. I really like the 721 and 722 actions and triggers better than the 700's. I've just had better luck adjusting the triggers for my liking.

I traded my swift to my cousin for his old 244 722 and shot it this weekend. Got the 75v-max to 3738 in the same hole for 2 shots then it goes wherever. Not to shabby for a stock 244 not ackleyerized. I think maybe it could be the scope. I have another one I'll put on it to verify.

What I really want is a 721 action to build a 6-284.

When are you coming down to do some longrange pork poking. Mike and I got into them this weekend. Ask him what he done to his buddy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I shoot the .222, .223, and .222 Mag.

With average loads, the cases will last forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

would u say the 222mag is worth the extra hassle?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had a .222 or .223, I wouldn't spend the money to rechamber and get new dies, but if I was building one, or replacing a barrel, I would go for the .222 Mag.

Tim,

I got it second hand from an acquaintance more than 30 years ago. He didn't like the way it shot and I wanted something that duplicated the feel of my 721 '06 to use for practice etc.

I got her shooting "good enough for me". The 26" barrel makes it a bit 'slow' for close running coyote shots. (The darn thing won't run in a straight line....)

The 721 is now a 270 AM single shot. The 722 is camo'd for winter walk & stalk. I've been playing with light bullets and 10X powder and have not lost accuracy but have gained a bunch of velocity. Just kind of messin' around with it.

I mostly use 52/55 gr bullets and enough 4198 to get in the low 3s for velocity.

I used 28grs. of H-335 and the 52's and it just simply shot lights out. The triple duece is a fun little round to play with.

I heard that 4064 and 4198 was a little hard on throats, don't know.

Tim

Is that H-335 a ball powder?? I have always used IMR-4198. Its always gave me great accuracy and velocity, so I never changed anything. However, what you say about 4198 being hard on throats got me thinking to maybe expand my powder selection. I just got done working up a few test loads out of my triple deuce yesterday. I want to shoot 55g NBT's for coyotes so thats what I worked with. I loaded 5 rounds each at 19, 19.5, and 20g IMR-4198, w-w cases, cci 400 primers, 2.170" OAL. The 19g load shot the best giving .5" group right at 3000fps. Not to shabby. 4 of the 5 were touching, and the 5th was just about a bullet hole away. Might work on it a little more, but 5 shots into .5" is good enough for any coyote!

25-06, yes BLC-2, H335, H380 are all ball powders. The BLC2 was a little to hot. H335 was just right for the 222mag, and H380 worked very well in the swift.

I was asking Kiethcandler about IMR4064 for aother powder choice for the swift.

Let me get my story straight. Kiethcandler told me that 4064 was hard on barrels (not throats). Also he made no mention of 4198 but I would put it in the same catagory. We were talking about the swift. The 222 may not have this problem because of lower velocities.

Sorry about the mixup throats vs barrels.

Tim

Thanks for all the great info. I am thinking about trying to find a new remington 799 in 222. Has anyone played with this rifle at all.I also may just put a hart barrel on a 700 action.

I'm new to this forum, but I have and absolutely love my older Rem 700BDL in .222. I would look seriously at the .204 if I were buying today, but I'll have to say that this .222, in a nice light - really good carry gun setup (no heavy varmint barrel), with a harris bipod, is just incredibly accurate in the field. It's my best groundhog gun, no question.

I don't have time for reloading. Mine seems to like Hornady custom ammo best, the 50gr V-MAX Mollys that I can buy through Cabela's with points that just naturally accumulate over time on my Visa. It will do one ragged hole groups at 50 and the holes almost always touch (3-shot groups) at 100 with just on older Leupold 3x9! Kills consistenty for me out to 250 yards. If I gave this thing some real magnification or maybe a varmint/BDC type reticle, well... could be sweeeeeeeet!

DSC_0008.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.