.221 fireball

screech

I know that this isn't really a long range cartridge. Just for kick though, has anyone used these on varmits and if so in what rifle. Remington has one and cz. Just wondering what they were getting for accuracy.

I've got a light-weight walking rifle in .221FB. With a max charge of Hodgdon's Lil'Gun and a 40gr Ballistic Tip (moly) I get 3,600 ft/sec. The little bugger shoots .5moa @ 200yds and has made numerous one shot kills on groundhogs out past 300yds.

The .221 is one addictive little cartridge and is easy to load for with several powders and bullet weights. Published reloading data (for rifle use) is available in the Nosler book.

Once you buy one you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Ditto on what varmint hunter said.
I have a cz 221 fb ,i've glassbedded it adjusted the trigger down -way-low.
There is basically no recoil the gun just does an odd bounce at the shot.It wears a 4.5x14-44 zeiss scope and deserves it!
I've killed coyotes ,badgers ,crows ,hundreds of praire dogs ,elk -no sorry got carried away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
Anyway they're great -i once shot mine for a few hours in absolutely no wind in new mexico [very odd] and i mean NO WIND.That little rifle smacked pd's out past 400yds ,i could spot my own hits and had a couple of guys laughing they're butts off at the little rifle the could!
One thing to watch out for is they're picky and tempermental to load for.Here's how i finally got mine tuned------> loaded 3 rounds starting .6 below max showed no pressure at max.Loaded 6 rounds at max shot .5-.6" twice =done.That was w/40 gr v-max ,decided to try 40gr nos bt's loaded 6 more =same thing .5"ish=done.Won't bore you w/the same redundent story w/52gr a-max.
Sorry so long but as you can see i love me a 221 fb!!!Mike

Edited to say i use 40gr nos bt w/ 20.7gr- AA 1680 powder ,cci small primer ,average vel.=3546

sounds like its a kick in the pants little cartridge. I just got to find one first off then somehow get the money for it and to finish the rifle at the smith right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just for question, Dou you guys suggest the 40 gr. or I think that they make down to either a 30 or 33 gr bullet. Its going to be used on little pestering vermin at less than 250. of course if I see a tempting chuck at longer range he may get lead flung at him. With my shooting skills he'll probablly be safe but then again I'll be burning something like 20gr. of powder or something so i can fling alot of lead before the barrel tells me to slow down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Screech,

I do not have a rifle in the 221 FB yet but I have had several XP-100 handguns in this round including my current very low SN XP-100.

I load the 50 gr Blitzking in mine to right at 2700 fps in the short 10 3/4" barrel. I only have a 2x luepold on the handgun but I will tell you inside 200 yards, the little handgun simply will not miss a gopher sized target if I do my part.

I have pulled off some shots where I just put the little XP Back in the case and realized I just had to enjoy it for myself because if I told anyone how far it will pop a P. dog they would simply call me a liar looking at it with its low powered scope.

After playing with that XP for several varmint seasons, I now have all the componants in the shop for a lightweight rifle in the same chambering.

If you start playing with the 221 FB you will be hooked on it as mentioned already, very addictive in an accurate firearm. I can not say how the rifles you mentioned will shoot but in a well built rifle or handgun, this is easily a sub 1/2 moa chambering.

Kirby Allen(50)

It's a 222 w/about 2/10th's of an inch wacked off and a few thousands more girth below the shoulder.
A guy at saubier small caliber news had 8000 rounds down the barrel and going strong.
Remington has a 17 cal version -17-221fb- on the way basically a 17 mach iv that's now a factory cartridge.= 20gr v-max @ 4000+fps w/21-22gr of powder.
I knocked the biggest crow i ever seen [looked like a buzzard] off a fencepost at 270-280 yds in wyoming w/the little fireball.
I payed $450 for the little cz and wouldn't take $750 for it!!!
Also i mentioned .5-.6" size groups -that doesn't sound too great but in the conditions i was testing in it was a keeper [horizontal stringing].It's shot several true bughole groups -5 shots at .231" is one i see in my notes.
I'd have to dwell on it for a long time to chose 1 and only 1 cartridge for varminting but the 221 fb might very well be my choice!
Get one you'all will love it!------Mike

Ol'Mike,

Your right on about the 221 FB. The new 17 cal from Remington will be very interesting as well.

That "crow" you popped in Wyoming was a "Raven" and yes they get very large!!! They are all over in the Rocky Mountain states and Canada. Many states protect them from being shot, not sure about Wyoming though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby ,

He was damaging crops by sitting on that fencepost ----->the crops weren't able to get the proper sunlight due to the "blackbirds" shadow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif!!!

Come to think of it i was in way-way north wyoming-- -edge of canada pretty much--that's the truth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a 22" heavy pipe for my encore, shoots like a dream rips up critters just like the .223 out to 250 yards. I highly recommend it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you like the Fireball, try the .20 VarTarg. It is nothing more than a .221 Fireball necked down to a .20, using only one die. Very simple. Check out Todd Kindler's website or the 6mmBR site for more info.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.