220 Swift vs. 22-250 for varmints...Opinions Please

G

Looking at a sendero in 220 swift for p-dogs. What do you guys think compared to the 22-250 or other calibers?

john m

IMHO, i'd go for the 22-250. it is apparently a more inherently accurate cartridge and is not very far behind the swift in terms of performance.

personal taste thing though i suppose...

derek

I'd go for the 22-250 ,its not far enough behind the 220Swift in speed for you to notice , their arte alot more factopry loads out their , its accuracy is legendary , great amouts of reloading tools and componets around.

I have a 22-250 Ackley Improved with a 1 in 8 twist barrel. 75 grain A-Max are just the ticket for long range varmint sized targets. Running at moderate speeds (3300 fps) there is reduced barrel wear, which is a problem with the Swift and the Ackley has benefits over the standard 22-250 in that there is less case trimming required. Cannot recommend this highly enough over the two other choices mentioned.
smile.gif

...overall, most people prefer the 22-250; I will say however, the swift is at least equal in accuracy and superior at the more extended ranges... you might wanna try the swift at least once and judge for yourself... (pardon me for saying so, but the 22br is best of all, but no factory round)...jmho... Larry

John ,
I've had both , a Sako Swift first and then a Rem. 700 VSSF .22/250 .
I'd have to say that I found the .22/250 disappointing (ended up rebarreling to .243 Ackley) after having had the Swift for 20 years and 2 barrels .
In terms of accuracy both are good but what I've read (and that's plenty) suggests if anything , a slight edge to the Swift .
Forget all the crap you'll hear about the Swift burning barrels . Most of it comes from those who own .22/250's and have an inferiority complex
tongue.gif
. How you load and treat your barrel will have a bigger influence on it's life than which of the two you choose .
There is no way you can load a .22/250 within 100 FPS of a Swift without cases stretching badly and needing regular full length sizing . Make sure you buy a case trimmer if you go .22/250 and be prepared to junk the cases after 4 trimmings .
Swift cases stretch too , but not to the same extent in my experience . I found that I was getting around 10 loads before requiring trimming in mine vs about 3 or 4 in the .22/250 . The Swift is simply a heavier , stronger case .
Varmints can't tell the difference but I'd go Swift for the mechanical advantages .
The Swift can handle slower burning powders and still give good velocity , accuracy and case life .There's no flies on a 50gn Nosler BT at 3900 - 4000 fps in front of 44 - 45gns Mulwex AR 2209 (I think Hodgdons H4350 is the same ?)
Dies , cases etc. aren't hard to find for the Swift so don't think that would be a major consideration . Factory ammo is more readily available for the .22/250 .
The .22/250 Ackley Improved is good as Andy suggests if you're going custom but I wouldn't buy a factory gun and have it rechambered . The .220 Wilson Arrow (an improved Swift) is also very good .
Best thing of all about the "varmint king" is that you can always outdo a .22/250 owner when it comes to bragging rights .
wink.gif
(That should stir ém up)

[ 06-25-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

I have to agree. I have a swift, and my friend has a 22-250. We both prefer the swift. Mine has a 1/14 twist, so as long as I use 52g bullets, and accept a 600 yard range limit, it performs amazingly. I tried to shoot at 800-1000 yards but they were going unstable. I get lots of reloads out of my brass, and great accuracy.
38.6 grains of 4064 with 52SMK.

I have the 700VSSF in 220 swift and it is amazing right from the box with a trigger adjustment. She has gone in the 1's with federal premium factory fodder slinging the 52gr SMK's.

I have shot several of the 22-250 heavy barreled rems,..and they all shoot very well also.

all in all,..I prefer the swift for sheer ability to push the pills faster. Keep the bore clean and cool,..no problems will arise that the 250 doesn't also experience.

The 220 Swift starts where the 22-250 ends and accuracy wise I do not feel there is any difference between the two I have had both and I will take the swift over the 22-250

"Looking at a sendero in 220 swift for p-dogs. What do you guys think compared to the 22-250 or other calibers?"

I think that if you hunt p-dogs with a Swift or a 22-250 your barrel will be toast in a single day of shooting.
grin.gif

However, that would give you an excuse for getting that nice custom barrel that you've been dreaming of.
wink.gif

I had a VSSF in .220 Swift. Great little rifle. It took a little work to get it to shoot, dang thing absolutely did not like new brass, had to have once-fired cases. It also never liked 55 grain bullets, any of them, but it loved 50s.

I've had a couple .22-250s. One eventually learned to shoot. The other didn't.

I just gave up on a .22-250 AI, brass eating little ***. Turns out the chamber was cut for real live .473" case heads and what Remington and Winchester shipped me were around .465 to .468. Even trying to neck size, it'd cut the heads off after 2-3 shots. If I bumped the shoulder at all, they were gone after one firing. I don't need that nonsense. Same gig as a coupla Ruger .22 Hornets I had a couple years ago.

I would go with the .220 Swift. I wouldn't buy a .22-250 unless I first found a source of brass that really had .473" case heads.

This-is-an-old-post-but-I-would-say-the-220-Swift-is-better-than-the-22-250.-The-Swift-is-the-KING-of-the-.22-Varminters.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
This-is-an-old-post-but-I-would-say-the-220-Swift-is-better-than-the-22-250.-The-Swift-is-the-KING-of-the-.22-Varminters.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey wildcat... where did you learn to type.

IT's-a-real-pain-in-the-***-to-read-this-kind-of-typing-and-it-ain't-cute-!!!

But the worst part of it is that by putting a dash between each word, you are forcing the software of the website to extend the page width.
Some of your litterary efforts have made the page width go to four or five pages wide, and that's a REAL PAIN IN THE *** TO READ - OK?

... and the .22-250, and .220 Swift are so close that it is more the rifle than the cartridge. And when it comes to HOT 22s, both are down in the middle of the list!

The 220 Wilson Arrow, the 22 Clark are just two that come to mind... and then there is that gawd awful "22 G&A" for those that are not faint of heart (and have deeeeep pockets).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.