220 swift 12twist

blinderthanascope

I just traded for a Douglas Moreno barrel sss 26" varmit contour 12tw, I was wondering if it would stabilize 68gr Horny BTHP, I did check the Berger twist reco and it says yes but I need some real world help, I ordered 250 Horny 68 BTHPs, I'm not lookin for speed but maybe I can push them to 1000 I know we use to shoot or try to shoot 52 bthps at 1000 with no luck that was a long time ago, I'm thinkin this 12 twist might do it, lets hear it don't be meangun)

The Hornady 68 BTHP is too long to work in a 12 twist. It is the same length as the Hornady 75 BTHP. My 12 twist 22-250 is just barely able to stabilize the 69 SMK. Your Swift may also be able to stabilize the 69 SMK, but the bc will be considerably lower because the bullet will be understabilized.

From a 12 twist, the 69 SMK will not offer any long range advantage over lighter bullets, such as the 53 VMAX or 55 SBK. If you want to reach out to 1000 with a Swift, a 9 twist and 75's will likely do the job, though an 8 twist would be a better choice.

I just traded for a Douglas Moreno barrel sss 26" varmit contour 12tw, I was wondering if it would stabilize 68gr Horny BTHP, I did check the Berger twist reco and it says yes but I need some real world help, I ordered 250 Horny 68 BTHPs, I'm not lookin for speed but maybe I can push them to 1000 I know we use to shoot or try to shoot 52 bthps at 1000 with no luck that was a long time ago, I'm thinkin this 12 twist might do it, lets hear it don't be meangun)

Most Of the high velocity .224s like the swift and 22/250 have 1 in 14 twist for 50 to 55 grain bullets. The 1 in 12 should work for the 60 to 70 grain bullets at the velocities the 220 Swift can produce.

If you go with a twist rate that Is to fast you can have jacket problems (Jacket to core separation)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.