220 Swift vs. 22-250 for varmints...Opinions Please

I've had both and liked both, but I think If I was to ever have the choice again, I'll take the 22-250...

The swift was very nice, fast, accurate, but was hard on Win cases...I'd only get 3-4 loadings out of them before they were gone...2 of my favorite loads were 40g VLC at 4550fps, and 55g NBT at 3925fps. Both these shot under .5" at 100 yards out of my Ruger Target. Both bullets accounted for a few coyotes...

The 22-250 was Winchester sporter and I shot 55g NBT's at 3600fps, or 40g NBT at 4100fps. A good bit slower, but no coyote or varmint ever knew the difference. Cases last at least 10 firings and you burn 10g less powder..

I have a 2 swifts that will shoot sub half inch groups @ 100 yards they are not any harder to load for than a 22-250. Now MrB.Stanley I would like to make you an Offer on this public forum if you can shoot 5 separate 5 shot groups with your savage that will agg less than 3/4 @ 300 I will pay you 2000.00 for it without the scope if the rifle or shooter fails produce these results you sell it to me for 300.00$ I have no doubt in your claimed accuracy and marksmanship,I feel it would be an honor to spend the day shooting with someone of your skill level If you set up the time I will be there.

some of yall might be surprised what the 204 will do with 15-18 less grains of powder and near zero recoil..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok Catshooter,
I'll bite; What's a 22 G&A?

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

.22-284 - was named after "Guns and Ammo" back when they were a decent magazine - reached 6,300 fps with 19gr Remington bullets - barrel was toast in less than 300 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ] Catshooter , I had forgotten about those G&A Tests . I'm thinking about 50 years ago when the Military was in the early stages of high velocity nose-cone analysis . I believe those Rem bullets were based on sintered technology and were loaded in a rimfire called the Rem. Rocket . I fired a few in those days and they were louder than the usual rimfire cartridges . I still have some in unopened packs . These were flatpacks like Chicklets . I often wondered how much of the short barrel life was due to the velocity and how much was due to the sintered metal bullets .

[ QUOTE ]
"... I believe those Rem bullets were based on sintered technology and were loaded in a rimfire called the Rem. Rocket . I fired a few in those days and they were louder than the usual rimfire cartridges . I still have some in unopened packs . These were flatpacks like Chicklets . I often wondered how much of the short barrel life was due to the velocity and how much was due to the sintered metal bullets."

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the bullets were from a special "Gallery load" made for shooting penny arcades, like the ones at carnivals. The bullets were made of compressed powdered iron, with a rosin binder. When they hit, there was no metal "splatters" to injure the customers, because they turned to dust.

The bullets didn't wear out the barrels (gallery rifles had long lives... 100,000+ rounds).

It was the the 284 case full of powder that burned up the throats on the 22-284 "G&A".

[ QUOTE ]
This-is-an-old-post-but-I-would-say-the-220-Swift-is-better-than-the-22-250.-The-Swift-is-the-KING-of-the-.22-Varminters.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

+100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 2 swifts that will shoot sub half inch groups @ 100 yards they are not any harder to load for than a 22-250. Now MrB.Stanley I would like to make you an Offer on this public forum if you can shoot 5 separate 5 shot groups with your savage that will agg less than 3/4 @ 300 I will pay you 2000.00 for it without the scope if the rifle or shooter fails produce these results you sell it to me for 300.00$ I have no doubt in your claimed accuracy and marksmanship,I feel it would be an honor to spend the day shooting with someone of your skill level If you set up the time I will be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Posted By MrB.Stanley

I have a savage model 12 varminter in 22-250 and it shoot very well so far. I like the 22-250 it is a very easy cartrige to get to shoot good. I am shooting 55g balistic tips behind 36.2 grains of IMR 4064 and a CCI Benchrest primer at about 3750 FPS, and getting about 3/4 moa at 300 yards for 5 shots.

I tend to agree with these guys. I like my M-77 BB Ruger Swift. Most of the guys I know who have had barrel burn out on their swifts were shooting a lot of really hot loads. You get a lot more flexability in hand loading with the swift due to case size. A friend of mine says if he shot the barrel out of his swift he would rather use it as a designer club than shoot a 250. I won't go quite that far. However, I do prefer my Swift.

I currently have CZ varminter in 22-250, I ruger varmint in 22-250, a Winchester Coyote in 223 WSSM and a Remington Sendero in .220 Swift. I have been playing with these little fast rounds (except the 223WSSM) for the better part of 20 years. I have found with the right attention, any of the ones listed above will shoot 1/4 MOA. THe CZ and Remington will do it any day provided I can read the wind correctly. The WSSM will do it any day as well but requires FREQUENT cleaning. It is all about preference and the particular gun. The CZ is the less picky of the group. It shoots most anything really well. I could only settle on a load with the help of a Crony. The Swift prefers fairly light loads for 1/4 MOA accuracy. The WSSM likes em hot. THe Ruger just can't keep up. My point here is in my years of reloading I have learned that two different guns from the same manufacturer with consecutive serial numbers will shoot and like different things. Unless you are talking a custom gun, you are going to have to find what that particular rifle likes That extra 100 or 200 fps might be a mute point. All of my fast shooting .22 rifles will shoot. Each have their temperaments and I like different features of all of them. I don't think there is ONE king. If there was how in the heck could I convince my wife I need ANOTHER gun in my safe!

kweidner,

I actually think any of those rounds are great. I have only had one rifle in my life I could not come up with a load that would provide satisfactory groupings. That was a .270 Win. in a Ruger 77. I really like to tout the .220 against the .22-250 die-hards just to hear them growl.:) I have yet to find a place I can buy entertainment like that! My M-77 BB is the only rifle I don't hand load for. I found the Hornady Custom Grade rounds to be as good as anything I could build for that particular rifle. Somewhat more expensive. However, it allows me to spend more time working with other rounds for rifles that are a little more picky. I do not own a custom made rifle. Been considering a custom built .204. Upper management hasn't ruled on that idea yet. Heard one comment about giving up next years annual trip to Costa Rica for a new rifle. Of course, upper management is a big supporter of sand, sun and fishing each February, so it might not show good judgement on my part to make such a "Poor" decision.

"Upper Management,":) "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed"...(whatever she's called) is the "thorn-in-the-side, the bain of existence" of 95+% (I think) of married gun fanciers.

Let's face it. Women and sensible gun buying are just not compatible. This has gotta be some some property of the XX chromosome. Men have been lying, plotting and scheming to get around this female roadblock since the dawn of recreational firearms. Any subterfuge, shamless begging, bribe or outright lie is justified in attaining the (current) gun of our dreams!gun)

I like the Swift. I've shot .22-250's also. The Swift is as easy to load as the .22-250, is measurably faster, and in a std length commercial Mauser, feeds better. It's about .35" longer. I was skeptical about the semi-rimmed case, but haven't had any problems yet. I've barely finished barrel break-in, but it's under 1 moa with the break-in ammo and over 4000 fps with slightly flattened 210M's. My barrel is a 12 twist Lilja, and I believe it will do 1/2 moa with something between 35 and 55 grain bullets.

The fun factor is hard to define.

Tom

LewisH,

Your observations are correct. So far I have not had any serious impediments to acquisitions. She once said "I think you need to consider getting rid of your airplane, as it is getting pretty old". My response was "But dear it is only a 1950 model. Wasn't that the year you were born"? Not another word has been said. I have started building a .204 in my mind. There sure are a lot of options when it comes to having one built. Did some more Whistle Pig work with my Swift today.

Tom

DONT LISTEN TO THE 220 SWIFT NAYSAYERS!!!! The swift is about 200 FPS faster, It doesent eat barrels anymore because of the harder steels used in factory barrels. It will outperform the 22-250 every-time, on every single thing tested. Now if you reload, thats a different story. The swift isnt the little engine that could, its the sports car that did... It never cought on when it was introduced because everyone that had it thought 4000 fps was the magic number, combine this with softer metal used in barrels back then, it was basicly the worst varmint gun for anyone on a budget. Now it is in my opinion the best, unless you dont reload. You aint gonna find swift shells at your local walmart, finding one there is about the same chance of finding rust in a surgury room... It will never happen. I love the 22-250 too, i am looking at getting a new vamint gun because i use a 7mm mag. The 22-250 in a rem 700 would be sweet. but then again, a swift would be sweeter yet if i could find one here locally in that chambering. The cutoff for a coyote on a swift would be about 600 yards, the cutoff for a 22-250 is about 450 to 500. GET A SWIFT!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.