22 GT; anyone with experience care to share thier experiences, general load & ballistic info. I’m considering a build.

Sending156s

I'm thinking about building a 22 GT and can't find much data on it even though brass is manufactured for it. I've exchanged info with one shooter who loves thier 22GT build. I would be shooting heavy for caliber bullets 80-90 g. Use would be mainly for fun, varmits. I have a PRS build in 6mm, but might would shoot this just for fun.
I hope this would not be a cartridge debate as I've been looking at different 22s for awhile. I appreciate if anyone can provide some feedback on their experiences. Thanks to all in advance!

Unless you just want a really quirky round you'd probably be just as well off with a .220 Swift or 22-250. For one thing you won't be stuck with single source brass from GAP and that can be a big deal down the road.

There's quite a few guys over on Sniper's Hide I think shooting the .22GT mainly because they really like to promote GAP products but again, there's not really a nickel's worth of difference between it and the Swift or 22-250 performance wise.

Unless you just want a really quirky round you'd probably be just as well off with a .220 Swift or 22-250. For one thing you won't be stuck with single source brass from GAP and that can be a big deal down the road.

There's quite a few guys over on Sniper's Hide I think shooting the .22GT mainly because they really like to promote GAP products but again, there's not really a nickel's worth of difference between it and the Swift or 22-250 performance wise.
I'll go over & look again. I found this thread because I'm looking for info on the 22 GT for a build and was about to start a thread when I saw this thread. I've been looking at 22s a long time and hoping to find info on the 22 GT. I understand with any cartridge there's pro/con arguments about it & am solely looking for info on 22 GT. If anyone sees this & can pass on thier experiences with the 22 GT including general load info, performance, etc it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks……

I have no personal experience with the cartridge, but there's some info on Snipershide. Also, Alpha makes 22 GT brass, so definitely good stuff.

I have no personal experience with the cartridge, but there's some info on Snipershide. Also, Alpha makes 22 GT brass, so definitely good stuff.

Thanks………gone to read it

I've got one, prs rifle. 26" 7tw hawkhill barrel 219 bore. 90gr atips at 3100 shoots tiny. Ran all the way up to 3230 no psi, shot really good there too, but too fast for prs.

I've got one, prs rifle. 26" 7tw hawkhill barrel 219 bore. 90gr atips at 3100 shoots tiny. Ran all the way up to 3230 no psi, shot really good there too, but too fast for prs.
Any blowups with the 7 twis? I was listening to the Rifle Precision Series podcasts where they were interviewing George Gardner, believe it's episode 173, and he was experiencing 10% blowup rate with the 90 atips. He stated he was working on different twist rates to mitigate it and thought it was due to high rpms the bullets was seeing.
I'm pretty sold on getting a 22 GT made. I think I would like it a lot more than the 22 cm. I don't need 3500 fps and would appreciate the longer barrel life the GT would give me. Having my own range I go through 1500 rds pretty quick.
im using Impact actions and putting my own making up my own shouldered pre-fit barrels. I never thought I would see the day where we have it so good as shooters.

I believe those bullet blow-ups were with 6.7tw 218 bore barrels. I've had zero blow-ups, buy I'm a long ways from pushing this case hard. What causes jacket failure is heat, excessive twist, and damage from fire cracking and tight bores. I dont have any of those yet, maybe the twist rate, but I went 219bore for this exact purpose. I know 88s stabilize in my 8tw 22creed but they're not as long as the 90s, ans they're going a fair bit faster too. Time will tell!

Last edited:
I believe those bullet blow-ups were with 6.7tw 218 bore barrels. I've had zero blow-ups, buy I'm a long ways from pushing this case hard. What causes jacket failure is heat, excessive twist, and damage from fire cracking and tight bores. I dont have any of those yet, maybe the twist rate, but I went 219bore for this exact purpose. I know 88s stabilize in my 8tw 22creed but they're not as long as the 90s, ans they're going a fair bit faster too. Time will tell!
I think you are right. If I remember correctly GAP had some .22 6.7 twist blanks in stock.

Have you settled on your 22 GT build yet? I'm also thinking this will be my next barrel. Well, I'm actually thinking of building it for my sons 10th birthday next year, but I may play with it in the mean time ... you know, to work out the kinks and have a good shooting load ready for him to start with! 😁

I have tons of 75gr HPBT and 73gr ELDM's from my AR loads to start playing with, but would pick up some heavier pills for sure. I'm also eyeing the SAC modular sizing die and The seating die.

Nope, I sure haven't. I bought action, barrel, stock, everything from Impact precision for a heavy 6 GT build. It's definitely my most accurate rifle including a couple of rifle built by a couple of our most prominent & well known gunsmith. Anyway that thinned my wallet. And it shot so good I had a lightweight 6 GT built. It's just finishing and should be in the mail today or tomorrow. Now my wallets is really starving lol. I also ordered 2 25 Bartlein barrels through GAP for a 25 CM build. I've already got the stock, bottom metal, trigger, etc for that.

i still want a 22 and am very interested in the 22 GT. I joined a 22 GT group on FB so I could read the posts/info they share on it. If money permits I'll probably have one someday if I don't kick the bucket 1st. That fb page is a great source of info on it. I don't like fb, but it is a good source of info on specific cartridges. Also, on a podcast called Precision Rifle Media. Find the podcast where George Gardner is a guest. He talks about the 22 GT & where at certain twist rates (6.7) 90 gr A-tips are blowing up in the air due to the mechanical forces placed on the bullet is more than it can handle. So be careful on choosing twist rate.

Well best wishes to you. If you build before me please posts pics & results & I'll do same. Weather has broke here so I'm headed outside!

Have a great day!

Haha you sound like me, plan and research something and then change your mind and go a different direction! Curious why you went with the 25CM barrels vs a 25GT? With a simple bushing change you could use the same sizing dies, correct? I'm in the 6GT group on FB and there is a good amount of discussion on the 22 as well, I did listen to one youtube video from PRM with George, but it's been a little while so I don't remember if it was the one where he talked about blowing up A-tips, doesn't sound familiar though so i'll have to go back and find it.

I shoot a 22gt in prs. 90atips at 3100 with 35.8gr H4350, shoots very well. Barrel is a 26" hawkhill 7tw 219 bore. I ran up to 3250 w/o psi signs. Just had quarter moa of vertical dispersion at distance from 3080-3115fps so I run it in there. I know there are guys running 3k+ fps from 18-20" barrels with the 90 atips w/ rl26. George was originally building these with 6.7tw 218 bore bartleins. That's too much twist and the tight bore makes it even worse. 22creed pops bullets in 7tw 218 bore, 219 helps. Pick just enough twist to stabilize the heaviest bullet you plan to shoot at your lowest possible DA. I recommend always going 219 bore in 22 and 237 bore in 6mm. Less jacket pressure and deformity to prevent damage to it going down the pipe. This is even more important once round count gets up and throat gets some fire cracking.

I haven't really calculated it on the 25 CM vs the 25 GT. i still have time to change my mind lol. I order 1 24" CF & 1 26" SS. Both are .257 MTU 8-7.4 RH gain twist. My plan is to build the lightweight with the CF barrel. If it's the shooter I think it could be I'll have the 26" heavy to build another PRs rig.
Later I'll calculate the case capacity between the 2 to see which should give me the most speed. Some are building 25 saums, PRC s. My #1 goal is accuracy, I want & need speed - I'd like to maker the hunter series power factor with it but not counting on it. even though I need speed I don't want a bbl burner. I'm guessing those 25 Saum s will not last 1200 rds.

before the barrels make it in from Bartlein I've got to build some dummy rds for the chambering. I'm guessing I have another 5 mo wait. It's part of a larger GAP order or I would be waiting a couple of forevers. I've bought 2500 135 LRHTs & some 133 EOL hunter. That and Peterson brass are what I'm planning on using. Might see if Alpha is making any. I've already got the Peterson. I know it should be easy to neck down Lapua which I may try. I wanted some made from the start for the 25 cm. I do like Peterson.

oh yeah, where I heard that from George Gardner was on a podcast (precision rifle media). I listen to podcasts when walking or lifting.

don't be giving me anymore ideas lol !!!

Recent Posts