22 creedmoor

I'm looking to build, a 24 inch, .22 Creed with, a 1-9 Twist to, shoot, 53 V-Maxes, 55 Nosler Bal Tips or, Sierra 55 gr. Blitz's, on the "Light" side for, Sage Rats and Rock Chucks then, use, ( Re-Zero rifle of, course ) the 69 gr. Sierra TMK's or, 73 gr. VLD Bergers @ 3,400 for, Winter Yotes & LR Steel, Fun.
Hopefully getting, good Velocity ( But not, Screamers ) to get some, "descent" Barrel Life ( est 1200 - 1500 Shots ). My "theory" anyway, LOL !
Blowing Jackets OFF Bullets and SUB 1,000 rounds of, Barrel Life, are NOT,.. "My Cup of, Tea". Many guys, will Build One, NEVER to try, this Cartridge,.. again !
Berger doesn't make a 73 VLD. It's a BT bullet and will work great in a 9 twist. The 75 VLD needs an 8 twist in most cases unless your in very high elevations. The 9 IS perfect for the 69 Sierra and Berger 73 BT for sure.

@ VLD Pilot,..
Yup,. I wasn't paying strict attention on the 73 BT , but have checked both out for, being, Spin stable & accurate with, 9 Twist and they look, "Good" !
I'm going to avoid, the 1- 8 and faster twists and heavy 75-88 grain bullets to, try for better, Barrel Life.
Coyotes will be, just as Dead with, the 69 or, 73's at, 3,400+ FPS,. AND,..
I already have, a 1-7.5 Tw, 24" Braked, 6 XC that, "Shoots" Hornady, 103 ELD-X's into, Sub 1/2 inch, 5 shot groups

Last edited:
@ VLD Pilot,..
Yup,. I wasn't paying strict attention on the 73 BT , but have checked both out for, being, Spin stable & accurate with, 9 Twist and they look, "Good" !
I'm going to avoid, the 1- 8 and faster twists and heavy 75-88 grain bullets to, try for better, Barrel Life.
Coyotes will be, just as Dead with, the 69 or, 73's at, 3,400+ FPS,. AND,..
I already have, a 1-7.5 Tw, 24" Braked, 6 XC that, "Shoots" Hornady, 103 ELD-X's into, Sub 1/2 inch, 5 shot groups
I don't blame you on fast twist .224s. The 8 is perfect for me in my 22-250AI. Believe it or not, I can run the 90VLDs in it. Just keeping you informed based on my experience. Tried running the 75s and a 9 twist wouldn't stabilize them. The 69-73 will do fine.

I have seen .a 22 Creedmoor's with 1-7 twist barrel shed jackets on Berger 85.5gr and 90gr bullets before they even came close to pressuring out.
Hence WHY, I believe that, either, a 1-8 or, 1-9 Twist with, the Appropriate Bullet, Weight and with, "Reasonable" Velocities, needs to be,..
taken into account, as there are, many, UN-Happy, .22 Creed owners that, will NOT Re-Barrel with, this Cartridge again, Due to all,..
the "Poofed", bullets.

Last edited:
Hence WHY, I believe that, either, a 1-8 or, 1-9 Twist with, the Appropriate Bullet, Weight and with, "Reasonable" Velocities, needs to be,..
taken into account, as there are, many, UN-Happy, .22 Creed owners, out there that, will NOT Re-Barrel with, this Cartridge again, Due to all,..
the "Poofed", bullets.
I have found using a couple 8 twist barrels in fast .224 cartridge rifles that they are on par with the 9 twist barrels other than heavier longer bullets can be used. They both seem to be good on jackets. Obviously the 9 twist is easier on them but I've never lost a jacket with an 8 yet. Even pushing 75s at 3600+

I have found using a couple 8 twist barrels in fast .224 cartridge rifles that they are on par with the 9 twist barrels other than heavier longer bullets can be used. They both seem to be good on jackets. Obviously the 9 twist is easier on them but I've never lost a jacket with an 8 yet. Even pushing 75s at 3600+
I think that, the "Poblem" is, MOSTLY with, the 1-6.5 and 1-7 Twists and with, the "Heavies" ,.. driven way too, Fast.
You better BE, an amateur Ballistician,.. IF trying those,.. As, BALLISTICJESUS,.. seems to, Be !
It's "Rocket Science" to,.. some

Last edited:
RPMs to be precise. Slower bullets need faster barrels. Hence the 6.5-7 twist for the .223 Rem. Good part is, bullets stay together. That's why sticking with an 8/8.5/9 are good choice barrels for the bigger case .224s.

All I need is for, a 69 Sierra TMK or, 73 grain Berger BT to, shoot "well" at, 3,400+ FPS to kill, a Coyote or two, every winter ( to 500- 600 yds ) and,..
Whip out, the 53 gr V-Max or, 55 Nosler Bal Tips @ 3,700+ ACCURATELY for, Sage Rats / R. Chucks and, I'm,.. "Good" !
I just want, a Nicely Re-Designed,.. .22-250,.. PLUS ! ( With, Semi descent,.. Barrel Life ).
I WAS going to, Go with, a 1-8 and 75 ELD-M's or, 80.5 Berg's, But I don'y "need" that, much,.. Power / Range

Last edited:
All I need is for, a 69 Sierra TMK or, 73 grain Berger BT to, shoot "well" at, 3,400+ FPS to kill, a Coyote or two, every winter ( to 500- 600 yds ) and,..
Whip out, the 53 gr V-Max or, 55 Nosler Bal Tips @ 3,700+ ACCURATELY for, Sage Rats / R. Chucks and, I'm,.. "Good" !
I just want, a Nicely Re-Designed,.. .22-250,.. PLUS ! ( With, Semi descent,.. Barrel Life ).
I WAS going to, Go with, a 1-8 and 75 ELD-M's or, 80.5 Berg's, But I don'y "need" that, much,.. Power / Range
3400 with a standard 22-250 isn't a slouch with a 73 grain bullet. It's pretty warm ( with an average length hunting barrel)but will give you decent barrel life and for a hunting rifle for coyotes should last years.

My current Rifle is, a 1-14 Twist, .22-250, Rem 700, Lefty and WON'T shoot any of, Longer, High BC Bullets like, the 53 gr. hornady V-Max, 55 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings or, 55 gr. NBT's for, Windy Day,.. Sage Rats.
Most, 50 grain, Boat Tail's and Flat Based, 55-60's WILL shoot Fine, tho

Last edited: