22 creedmoor 7 twist barrel loads

Coldfinger

Does anyone have favorite 22 creed loads for a 7 twist barrel. I'm getting jacket separation with 77 grain Berger otm on top of 38 H4831. I have 73,75,77,85.5,90 berger
69,77,90 sierras and 88 eldx.
H1000,4350,4831,Varget, 380
Imr 4350,4064,3031,
Staball6.5
Re17,22,23,25 powders

How many rounds do you have down the barrel at this point?

If you're still having problems with jacket failure with other projectiles, you may need to shoot monos.

Had the same issue with a 3 groove barrel 7 twist. Only way to stop it is to use heavier bullets or shoot them with less velocity.
My 4 groove 7 twist was shooting 69g pills without issue at 22-250AI velocities.

Cheers.

It's a balance that should be planned for.
7tw is needed only for heaviest per cal jacketed bullets, and the cartridge chosen to drive them should shine beneath blowup velocities with those bullets. Anything bigger is too much, and for more than just this reason.

I shoot 88 eldms and 95 SMKs out of mine. 3200 ish range with a 22 inch rock creek and H4350. Approximately 3-400 rounds and haven't had a jacket failure yet.

I have several 22 creedmoor 26" 7 twist barrels 2 Xcaliber that will run the 85.5 3250 ok any faster and they will blow up my bartlin blows them up at 3210 I only have 400rds on it changed to 88eldm at 3225 so far I have not blowed one of them up. Rl23 works really well

I had no problems and excellent results with the 90 bergers at 3140 with 40 gr's of staball 6.5 through a criterion 7twist until I couldn't find them anymore. Working on the 88's now and staying around the same speed. Will see

It's a balance that should be planned for.
7tw is needed only for heaviest per cal jacketed bullets, and the cartridge chosen to drive them should shine beneath blowup velocities with those bullets. Anything bigger is too much, and for more than just this reason.
^^^ yep, what Mike said. I realize this goes against the current trend of over twisting stuff.

You're twisting the jackets off the core. Two options, tougher/heavier bullet or slow that one down. The hybrid is typically a little tougher, that's where I'd try next if I was you.

Good luck, I'm waiting on an 8 twist barrel from Brux right now, planning on 80.5's and h4350.

Sorry that I don't have anything to provide as far as recommendations here. I do have a question though based on this topic. I'm needing to order a 22 Creedmoor barrel and was debating on getting the 8 or 7 twist one. Then I ran across the Shilen 4-groove ratchet rifling in a 7.5 or 8. I was almost thinking the 7.5 would fit perfectly for the sub-90gr bullets but more than 70gr. Which is where I think I'd like to be as there seems to be the most options. Any recommendations? This would be a prefit going on a Savage action that I have laying around.

Here's a great thread on 22 Creed loads. You'll see plenty using a 1:7 twist, but as you're seeing, several posted regarding jacket separation.

Sorry that I don't have anything to provide as far as recommendations here. I do have a question though based on this topic. I'm needing to order a 22 Creedmoor barrel and was debating on getting the 8 or 7 twist one. Then I ran across the Shilen 4-groove ratchet rifling in a 7.5 or 8. I was almost thinking the 7.5 would fit perfectly for the sub-90gr bullets but more than 70gr. Which is where I think I'd like to be as there seems to be the most options. Any recommendations? This would be a prefit going on a Savage action that I have laying around.

My 1:8 twist 22-250 AI (very similar capacity) can handle 55-88 gr bullets extremely well. My current favorite load is an 88 gr ELDM over RL-23… out of a 22" barrel it's a comfy 3150 FPS. If you're planning on sticking with bullets around 70 gr, then I would go with a 1:8.

I have a prefit 22 Creed barrel waiting for the 22-250 AI to burn out. This time, I went with a 1:7.5 twist for the Creed. It should do well up to the 95 SMK (or at least that's what I was told by several 22 Creed shooters).

Recent Posts