22 creedmoor 7 twist barrel loads

My 1:8 twist 22-250 AI (very similar capacity) can handle 55-88 gr bullets extremely well. My current favorite load is an 88 gr ELDM over RL-23… out of a 22" barrel it's a comfy 3150 FPS. If you're planning on sticking with bullets around 70 gr, then I would go with a 1:8.

I have a prefit 22 Creed barrel waiting for the 22-250 AI to burn out. This time, I went with a 1:7.5 twist for the Creed. It should do well up to the 95 SMK (or at least that's what I was told by several 22 Creed shooters).
That's sort of where I'm stuck. I'd like to be able to shoot the 90s if I wanted to but at the same time I never see them around. I also don't want to end up blowing up bullets with a 1:7 or even 7.5. I plan to make this a 26" barrel so it'll have the speed, I guess that should be another concern of mine.

Agreed on 7.5 twist being the happy compromise on the 22 Creed, with the heavy, high BC bullets.

Mine is a 26" long 7 twist Brux. I think 7.5 is the better option.

I shoot a 22-243 Middlestead that I believe has similar capacity to the 22 Creedmoor. I have settled on 75 gr ELD-M bullets at 3480 ft/sec. My 24" 1:8" twist barrel doesn't strip jackets. And the load is consistently accurate. I tried some Berger 80 gr VLD's. a while back. I think those flew at 3400 ft/sec. Couldn't get the same precision out of those as I did with the ELD-Ms. But no jacket stripping.

Agreed on 7.5 twist being the happy compromise on the 22 Creed, with the heavy, high BC bullets.

Mine is a 26" long 7 twist Brux. I think 7.5 is the better option.
...Unless you wanna shoot copper mono bullets. Then a 7 twist is better, to stabilize them. Like the 73gr Absolute Hammer bullet. Which requires a minimum 7.35 twist for stabilization.

Sorry that I hijacked this taking about twist. Let's get back to the load data for the 1:7 twist. If it was me and I was having that problem I'd just stop shooting the 77s and start trying the heavier bullets. Or slow the 77s down, but that almost defeats the purpose of the cartridge, for me that option would be out. Shoot the heavies and see what you can get.

This is what have came up with for shooting short and long range deer sized animals . I'm considering 600 yards as long range. Bullet seems to hold together quiet well. 3540 fps
20201018_174703.jpg

Here's a great thread on 22 Creed loads. You'll see plenty using a 1:7 twist, but as you're seeing, several posted regarding jacket separation.

Definitely jacket separation happening with 77 grain bergers. There's lead smudges at the bullet holes @ 25 yards.

That's sort of where I'm stuck. I'd like to be able to shoot the 90s if I wanted to but at the same time I never see them around. I also don't want to end up blowing up bullets with a 1:7 or even 7.5. I plan to make this a 26" barrel so it'll have the speed, I guess that should be another concern of mine.
Check out Horizon Firearms. They have been using 22 creedmoor for 8+ years. They have several YouTube videos on the subject. Very experienced with that round. That is how I was able to decide barrel twist for mine. I shoot 75eldm in an 18" 1:8. Going to try 88's also. My guess is 1:8 with 26" barrel will be plenty up to 90gr pills. Good luck

Does anyone have favorite 22 creed loads for a 7 twist barrel. I'm getting jacket separation with 77 grain Berger otm on top of 38 H4831. I have 73,75,77,85.5,90 berger
69,77,90 sierras and 88 eldx.
H1000,4350,4831,Varget, 380
Imr 4350,4064,3031,
Staball6.5
Re17,22,23,25 powders
I have a custom built 22 Creed; Defiance Deviant Hunter action, 26" Bartlein 5R Remington Varmint contour spiral fluted barrel 1 in 7" twist shooting 88gr ELD-M's at 3,350 FPS. I'm loading 45.0gr of RL-26 with COAL of 2.650" CBTO of 2.104". Haven't had any of them blow-up in mid flight yet. It shoots under .2 MOA consistently to a range of 500 yards (1" groups at 500 yards). I have shot some groups with it at 1,000 but you gotta make sure it's a calm wind cause any significant breeze causes a lot of drift with the heavy 22 cal's at that kind of range. But out to 5-600 yards it's a little missile on white-tail deer size game!

I have approximately 900 rounds of 75-80 and 88 grain Hornady ELD-M/X through my 22 Creed 26" 7 twist X-caliber barrel
98% of these rounds at 3400-3500 fps according to my Magneto Speed
I have not had any bullets come apart yet, including 75 grainers at 3500+ fps
I'm in Florida so altitude is a non issue
Very impressive cartridge
I don't hunt, I just shoot steels with it out to 850 yards so far
It'll easily go sub moa at 850 if I do my part
Hope to take it out to 1000 plus sometime this year

Chris, thanks for the feedback,haven't been able o shoot mne yet. I had to go back in the hospita ldue to covid comlications from 2 years ago. I can't breathe properly. It's stil l sitting here in the corner. What I'm looking for is a huntng bullet for hitetail deer. I have some 80gr A-max's and some 88 Eldm's. Am bulding a new shooting bench amd hoe to get out this spring. I have 75 and 80 Eldm's also. could you send me some of your loads? Don't worry, I've been loading for 40 years. Thanks again. powdr

I know moly coated bullets are "old school" and rarely seen anymore. However, when I was shooting a custom 22-243AI, I shot a 75gr A-Max moly bullet at 3,670fps and never dusted a single bullet. I credited the moly coating for reducing the engraving stresses on the bullet jacket.
That load was responsible for MANY long-range groundhog kills. I've taken them out to 1,000 yds with that (moly coated) bullet. It could have probably worked farther but finding places to shoot at longer distances was just impossible around the farms.

Guys,
I just shot some 62 Grain ELD-VT from Copper Creek today
Avg. speed on the Garmin Xero was 3720 fps and very accurate also
Shot it out to 850 yards today
It's a serious laser beam along with the 75 grain ELD-M in my rifle

Recent Posts