22 creed or 220 swift

About the only thing I don't like about the Swift is manufacturers ignoring it. Labradar is limited to around 3900 fps, Vihtavuori stopped printing load data for it after their second edition, case manufacturers focus on what cartridge is hyped in magazine articles, and nobody has recent load data utilizing RL 15.5 or 16 powders. BTW RL 15.5 works great with 50 & 55 grain bullets, while RL 16 is best with 55 and up. My M70 Swift feeds the rimmed 220 Swift case with no issues.

Looking to build a long range varminter. Wanting to shoot 55 grain or higher. .
Looking to reach out and touch at 500.....maybe 700
Never shot a .22 Creed, but it seems like a nice cartridge. With that said, I have shot the hell out of the .220 Swift the 55gr was my bullet weight choice, and I killed everything from Rats to Deer with it in Idaho when I lived there. By far... out of all, and mean all, the .22s I hunted with and shot... none were as accurate or really had the velocity I could get out of the .220 Swift. I think P.O. Ackley describes it best in his reloading manual(s) one and two. And don't let folks BS you... You can get great barrel life from the .220 Swift, just take care (clean) of it, and don't treat it like it's a machingun. Good like Cheers

220 Swift.jpg

I'd build the Creed simply because I don't like the Swift's semi-rimmed case design. Unless you're putting it in a falling block single shot, then maybe the Swift is the better choice.
Really. I have used my Mauser 98 action in a 220 swift from the early 70's 1-14 twist in a 24" barrel heavy. I use only 55gr bullet in it. Good to an easy 400yd without a range finder and single power scope.
Every manufacture has tried to get something like a 220 swift, My go to powder is IMR 4064.

Last edited:
The best LR varmint cartridge I've ever used was a 22-243AI. I shot a 75gr A-Max (moly) bullet at 3,670 fps. The load was incredibly accurate and devastating on groundhogs out to 1,000yds. It would have probably been good at greater distance, but it was just too difficult to find safe shooting opportunities in central PA that exceeded 1,000yds.

Easy to acquire Lapua 243 brass was the basis for the cartridge.

Really. I have used my Mauser 98 action in a 220 swift from the early 70's 1-14 twist in a 24" barrel heavy. I use only 55gr bullet in it. Good to an easy 400yd without a range finder and single power scope.
Every manufacture has tried to get something like a 220 swift, My go to powder is IMR 4064.
I make no claim that my dislike of the Swift case design is logical. I also make no claim that it doesn't work. Just that I don't like it. It's not logical or supportable with any facts, it just is.

If I just couldn't stomach owning a .22 Creed I'd go .22-250AI unless I wanted something unusual with hard to source brass and then I'd take a second look at the .224 Bee.