220 swift question

Bottom line on splash backs, try like heck to avoid big bones (shoulder, spine and then on a frontal the breast bone) and if I was really wanting the pelts intact I'd pass on the frontal and try to wait him out till he turns a bit.

Plus I'd go to a bit stouter bullet, the 55 Horn w/c, 63 Sierra and the 60 Horn HP come first to mind to me.

Now if the ranges were close (mainly sub 300) then I'd do some work with the 50 TNT and the 40 NBT and see how they shot and to what speed I could hold them together during their flight down range.
I have shot hundreds of coyotes with ballistic tips if there is an exit it normally is just the disc at the bottom of the bullet that comes out . I shoot them in the 223 for bobcats also 55gr ballistic tip 24.5 gr 335 powder mag primer extremely rare to have an exit if it does very little damage . Have killed a few with v maxes yotes and cats and sewed for hours . I try every new bullet that comes out but ballistic tips perform the best average overall for me

I have shot hundreds of coyotes with ballistic tips if there is an exit it normally is just the disc at the bottom of the bullet that comes out . I shoot them in the 223 for bobcats also 55gr ballistic tip 24.5 gr 335 powder mag primer extremely rare to have an exit if it does very little damage . Have killed a few with v maxes yotes and cats and sewed for hours . I try every new bullet that comes out but ballistic tips perform the best average overall for me
You are right though as with anything placement is key . UT it is odd I have friends that shoot Sierra, and others and performs well for them . But they don't work for me very well I just hate to sew lol

760 might get you to 3800fps in a 28-inch barrel, 90% burn rate. Would have to work up.
Nosler shows 3850fps with a 55 grain bullet, 42.0 grains 760. The accuracy node for that chart is at the start load though.

OK I sent my ruger m77vt off to McGowan barrel and had a stainless steel barrel put on . I went with a 28 inch varmint barrel and changed the twist to 1 in 12. OK with that said I am having a bit of trouble finding the perfect load for coyotes nosler ballistic tips in 55 gr seem to work good and accurate but seems not to shoot as flat . I usually run it around the 3800 fps mark. I am just wondering if someone else has a 28 inch barrel and what they recommend. Thank you
I have killed coyotes out to 600 with a 52 grain A-Max. Why are you worried about barrel length? My 22-250 with a 27 inch barrel shoots them at 4100 fps.

I have killed coyotes out to 600 with a 52 grain A-Max. Why are you worried about barrel length? My 22-250 with a 27 inch barrel shoots them at 4100 fps.
Not worried about it I have been told longer barrel increases pressure and was wondering if that is why my groups are not as tight as they should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch depending on 50 vs 55 gr

OK I sent my ruger m77vt off to McGowan barrel and had a stainless steel barrel put on . I went with a 28 inch varmint barrel and changed the twist to 1 in 12. OK with that said I am having a bit of trouble finding the perfect load for coyotes nosler ballistic tips in 55 gr seem to work good and accurate but seems not to shoot as flat . I usually run it around the 3800 fps mark. I am just wondering if someone else has a 28 inch barrel and what they recommend. Thank you
I use reloader 15 with a 26" barrel and 52gr Berger bullets. Perfect for my needs at 3750 fps

I have two 220 swift rifles one a Ruger 77 Heavy varmint with a 26" bbl and a Remington 700 Classic with a 24" bbl! The Remington is my favorite coyote rifle I load the 60gr. Nosler Bal. Tip to right at 3500 fps! Flattens them as far away as I can hit them! I went to the 60s because I was loosing Yotes with the 55 gr. V-Max at about 3700fps. It would nock them down but several got back up and ran off! Figure the bullet was blowing up and not penetrating on shoulder bone!

Son of a Gun----dats exactly why I went to the 6/06 as my serious yote gun. For about a decade I averaged 50 yotes a year and the big 6's were stomping them pretty hard. Even with a marginal hit the yotes wouldn't bitch and whimper and run off....

Well, I shot a .220 Swift for many, many years, here's the load I started with and never looked back, it was out of a 26" SS M700 very accurate, combo, I obtained the published velocity from the manual safely with no pressure... Nosler Manual number three (3) page 131 ... 55gr Nosler BT... CCI-BR-2 ... RL-15 (39.0grs max) ... 4050 fps "as always start low and work up in your rifle" Good luck, Cheers.

I shoot a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 with a 26 in. barrel, I believe it has a 1 - 14 twist, the most accurate load I came up with was 38 gr. of IMR 4064 behind the old plain Speer 55 gr. SP, I use Winchester brass (after turning the necks) and Rem. 9 1/2 primers, that was the first load I could get 1 inch groups at 100 yds. with, a close second is the Hornady 55 gr. V-Max, also ahead of 38 grs. of IMR 4064 and same Win. brass and Rem. 9 1/2 primers, this will also shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yds. I am getting 3842 fps with this load. It seems that the 1-14 twist likes 55 gr. or lighter bullets with more bearing surface than the longer more bc bullets, the 1-12 twist should give more flexibility with bullet selection. I forgot to add I was talking about 5 shot groups.

Last edited:
1-14 twist was used mostly in the older rifles. IMR 4064 was a go to powder. 55 gr bullet were used and slowed down the velocity to cut down on burning out the barrel. I have one from the 70's in a M-98 action, now in a 24" barrel. I got it used and it's a tack driver. Almost makes 1 hole at 100yds with 5 rounds.

Recent Posts