Coyote hunting scope question

Awesome info yote doctor, Thank you!!
You think the 3x12x56 I am seeing on sale would be a good scope to purchase for coyote hunting?
I am seeing them around for 1400-1500 now, three years ago they were 2200.

I am assuming that you are referring to the Steiner? I have no experience with Steiner what so ever. But if you are asking if the magnification range you are looking at would fit the bill, I would say yes (for sure).

Its nice to have the low end for up close shots as well as coyotes on the run...
And 12x would be fine for ranges you have listed. No need for anymore than that. MO. And just in case you happen to leave your scope on max magnification(12x not 20x), you mite still have a chance at Mr. Wooly

My 2 cents

So after looking through the nightforce and the Steiner, I chose the Steiner. It's adjustments were much more sound, firm, clear clicks where the NSX was great but not as firm or positive as the Steiner. I did some more searching and found the steiner Military 3-12x56 with true zero stop, 34mm tube, large objective (56mm) Brand new on line for 1200.00!!!. I now own it.

The lit reticle is sick, the first 7 settings are for night time use and are unbelievably dim which I need. No blooming in the dark. IT gathers a tremendous amount of light, my Leupolds do not compare in daylight, or dark. It's heavy at nearly 38 oz. But I think I can deal with that. I will post a pick of the whole set up once the rifle is finished. Thanks for all of the info guy's. I really appreciate it.

JJ.

The action is a Borden Alpine. Barrel is a broughton Sendero contour, stock is a McMillan, trigger is a Jewell.
Mr.Borden will be installing the barrel as soon as the action has been completed. Caliber is 243.

NOsler- i have shot quite a few coyotes here in az. most with leup 3.5-10 with a leup dot. for a long range rifle like you are having built i would mount a leup 6.5-20x40 (30mm tube). ron

I have a 8-32x44 Nikon in my heavy barreled 243AI. On my rem 788 223AI I use a 6.5x24x44. Nikon On my 223 SPS left hand I use a Millet 6x24x56. All have Illuminated recticules. Most of my scopes r Nikon. I have Burris 8x32x44. Redfield 6x18x40. Leupold 6.5x20x40. The new scopes have battery op. ill. The price is not always the important issue. Find what u r comfortable with go shoot. clarity and paralax and light transmissiongun) r the main issues. T U M

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.